Location/Division Specific Information
South San Francisco, CA
Our Genetic Sciences business is at the forefront of innovation for genetic analysis research and clinical applications. Our teams are develop platform and content solutions that help bring criminals to justice, accelerate disease research, and keep the world’s food supply safe. We also develop advanced methods for rapid testing and detection of viruses such as Zika and Ebola, helping to prevent global outbreaks. There is no limit to the impact our technologies can have on the world, and as a member of our team you can play a critical role in helping us fulfill our mission.
How will you make an impact?
The role of Sr. Director of Engineering will report to the VP of R&D Platform Shared Services, and will serve as the thought leader and strategist for our Engineering function. The role will lead a team of highly technical and specialized Engineering professionals including; engineers and firmware personnel and will lead the development of world-class platforms for qPCR, CE and MA for both RUO and IVD markets. Also responsible for identifying new technologies and products that help grow the GSD portfolio of products.
What will you do?
- Work with business development and legal to review applicability of new technologies, understand patent landscape and assess technology readiness
- Lead a team of R&D engineers building prototypes, exploring new concepts and demonstrating feasibility of new technologies
- Drive incubation, feasibility and product development efforts of novel technologies that help grow the GSD business
- Partner with our Product Management/Marketing team to identify technology solutions that help us add new applications to our systems that will help grow the use of qPCR/CE/MA
- Manage partnerships and collaborations that result in new technologies and products.
- Work hand-in-hand with Operations team to transfer the product into manufacturing.
- Be the champion of the product and be accountable for Quality, Cost and Delivery of the product
- Build a high performance team by staffing the group with world class talent and ensure the use of best practices that result in robust solutions that delight our customers
The Sr. Director of Engineering will have responsibility for providing direction and focus to meet or exceed the division objectives as follows:
Drives Growth through Innovation:
- Drives GSD strategic objective to transform from tools provider to solutions provider
- Identifies current and future market trends and opportunities and develops products that will transform or change a market segment and accelerate growth
- Defines and prioritizes a product development pipeline
- Performs new technology assessments by evaluating new technologies, reporting competitive comparisons, and matching GSD capabilities with requirements
- Uses deep understanding of the genetic analysis suite of tools – qPCR/CE/MA) to assess customer needs, innovate solutions, and strategically drive investments/prioritization to maximize impact and accelerate growth globally
- Deep knowledge of CE Sanger Sequencing, qPCR, dPCR, Microarray and sample to detection workflows and chemistries
- Experience developing instrumentation and systems for CE, qPCR, dPCR and Microarray
- Systems engineering experience working across multiple engineering disciplines and with teams of scientists to deliver solutions that best meet customer needs
- Experience with microfluidics and integrated sample to answer devices
- Experience with liquid handling systems, lab automation and standards
- Proven role model Leader who leads by example, fosters collaborative relationships and builds credibility across functions/teams, and orchestrates movement of associates to the right projects in order to optimize output
- Builds a great team and great culture across GSD
- Attracts, engages, develops, and retains top talent at all levels of the organization
- Inspires, influences, and empowers employees across the matrix (both direct and indirect teams globally) to overachieve objectives
- Decisive leader with ability to lead and empower teams to develop impactful short and long-term strategies and action plans and drive for results
- Ability to maintain high level of professional expertise through familiarity with current engineering/scientific literature, competing technologies and/or products and attendance of seminars and meetings. Communicate the significance of recent scientific/engineering developments to peer group. Encourages R&D team to do the same
- Engineering Lead for GSD R&D talent development initiatives including talent review (HRR), recruiting, performance management, and training and development programs and initiatives
- MS/Ph.D. degree in an Engineering discipline.
- 15+ years’ experience in a commercial R&D setting with an extensive external network in the genomics community
- Experience, preferably in a commercial environment serving regulated markets.
- Strong customer/quality orientation with demonstrated ability to effectively build and manage customer and partner relationships at the most senior level
- Strong track record of successfully developing new/innovative/breakthrough technologies and taking these technologies through to commercialization. Uses PCP process.
- Ability to critically analyze complex data, interpret and integrate experiment results with project objectives. Determine project directives based on data analysis. Maintain complete and thorough documentation in accordance with relevant standards to support patent application and defense as well as regulatory requirements.
- Ability to effectively collaborate and influence customers, partners, vendors, and internal staff as required
- Strong talent management and people development and engagement skills
- Demonstrated success working in a global matrixed-environment.
- Proven track record of effectively driving organizational transformation through large scale change initiatives from a business and cultural standpoint
- Demonstrates passion and enthusiasm for an organization’s vision, and motivates, leads, and empowers others to achieve organizational goals
- Strong presence; capacity to influence and promote enthusiasm and support through verbal, written and presentation communications skills
- Willingness to travel up to 25%, both domestic and internationally, as required
- Track record of delivering innovative products on time and on budget
- Track record of delivering successful RUO and IVD products with a thorough understanding of QSR requirements and ISO 13485.
- Demonstrates and drives the Thermo Fisher values – Integrity, Intensity, Involvement and Innovation (The Four I’s)
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join