When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The successful individual will directly interact with senior R&D staff, project management and external collaborators to understand or develop work plans. The scientist will then be responsible for executing plans either independently or as part of a team in order to meet agreed upon deliverables and timelines. Designated activities will require a certain level of independence but may also be in support of senior scientists.
This role will involve the following tasks:
- Tissue culture (culture of many cell types, 2D and 3D)
- Stable cell line generation (transfection and antibiotic-selection)
- Assay development (high-throughput and high-content)
- Molecular biology (Plasmid subcloning and TaqMan® PCR)
- Stem cell culture (feeding, passaging and cryopreservation)
- Genomic editing (TALN and CRISPR based editing)
- Periodic weekend work (stem cell culture)
This individual will also be expected to support and participate in senior level R&D meetings.
Capabilities and Competencies
This position requires the following capabilities and competencies:
- Perform standard laboratory math calculations and solutions/media preparation
- Proven experience:
- Sterile tissue culture technique
- Assay development (particularly fluorescence/luminescence based assays)
- Manipulating DNA plasmid constructs and with various forms of PCR
- Protein analysis (eg. western blots)
- Expertise with stem cell culture in the absence of antibiotics
- Expertise with liquid handlers, plate readers and/or high content imagers is a plus
- Ability to:
- Observe deviations from the expected outcomes
- Succeed with a moderate level of supervision and guidance
- Strong teamwork orientation with demonstrable influence/interpersonal skills
Will partner with a Project Manager that will interact with internal employees and management, as well as third party providers, and customers.
The vast majority of working time will be spent in a laboratory environment. Significant amount of work will take place in biosafety hoods in a tissue culture laboratory, working with various cell cultures. Cells will typically be validated by molecular biology techniques or functional assays. Time may be spent setting-up liquid handlers, high content imaging systems and plate readers in a laboratory environment. Some time will be spent at the desk recording laboratory activities appropriately in notebooks.
Must be capable of observing and adhering to lab safety standards and protocols.
Occasional weekend work will be required to maintain cell cultures.
Critical to success in this position will be the individual’s ability to independently work on some projects and to provide support on others.Equally important will be the ability to work as part of team in the laboratory (extended R&D team) as well as a broader cross-functional team (R&D, Project Management, Collaborator).
- Bachelor’s with industry experience or a master’s degree in the life sciences.
- 1-5 years experience in tissue culture
- 1-5 years experience in assay development
- 1-5 years experience in molecular biology techniques (DNA/RNA/protein)
- Occasional weekend work will be required to maintain cell cultures.
- 1-5 years experience in stem cell culture
This position has not been approved for Relocation Assistance.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join