The Content Organization within the Genetic Sciences Division (GSD) is a newly formed organization designed to accelerate GSD growth. The team is dedicated to working across all genetic analysis platforms (qPCR, CE, Microarray) to ensure the voice of the customer is brought into our decision-making process and aggressively pushing GSD into high-growth markets and developing applications for our foundational workflows – genotyping, gene expression and sequencing, and key applied markets such as infectious disease, pharmacogenomics, public health and oncology.
The role of VP Content R&D will report to the VP & GM of Platform/Content, and will serve as the thought leader and strategist for our cross-platform assay (content) development. The role will lead a team of highly technical and specialized R&D and Software professionals including; applications scientists, bioinformatics, and software engineers, and will lead the development of content for our core-research and applied (clinical/healthcare) markets. The team will be responsible for collaborating with our Platform and Vertical (Human Identification, Reproductive Health and AgBio) teams to assess, prioritize and develop solutions to solve for our customers’ toughest scientific challenges. This role will be a key member of the GSD Leadership team and will work closely with cross-functional representatives to create the long-term content strategy and effectively drive the overall technical and commercial milestones during the product development life cycle.
The Vice President Content R&D will have responsibility for providing direction and focus to meet or exceed the division objectives as follows:
Drives Growth through Innovation:
- Drives GSD strategic objective to transform from tools provider to solutions provider
- Identifies current and future market trends and opportunities and develops products that will transform or change a market segment and accelerate growth.
- Defines and prioritizes a product development pipeline.
- Performs new technology assessments by evaluating new technologies, reporting competitive comparisons, and matching GSD capabilities with requirements.
- Uses deep understanding of the genetic analysis “sample to answer” workflow (collection, extraction, analysis, bioinformatics to patient answer) to assess customer needs, innovate solutions, and strategically drive investments/prioritization to maximize impact and accelerate growth globally.
- Uses expertise in various therapeutic areas, particularly Infectious and Inherited diseases as well as Oncology to inform decisions on solution investments and prioritization.
- Optimizes and leverages existing platforms (qPCR, CE, Microarray and NGS) to meet content market needs and maximize impact and revenue opportunities.
Builds Clinical Roadmap:
- Develops and implements plan to ensure the GSD organization hires and develops talent required (i.e. R&D, Marketing, Regulatory, Quality, etc) to develop clinical diagnostics (LDT and IVD) for submission of CE-IVD, CFDA, and 510K/PMA approvals.
- Leads design of products and testing/validation to satisfy regulatory bodies’ expectations with the aim of rapidly and productively producing content.
- Builds R&D leadership bench strength and orchestrates movement of associates to the right projects in order to optimize output of new content.
- Builds a great team and great culture across GSD.
- Attracts, engages, develops, and retains top talent at all levels of the organization.
- Inspires, influences, and empowers employees across the matrix (both direct and indirect teams globally) to overachieve objectives.
- Decisive leader with ability to lead and empower teams to develop impactful short and long-term strategies and action plans and drive for results.
- Initiates and co-leads GSD R&D talent development initiatives including talent review (HRR), recruiting, performance management, and training and development programs and initiatives
Key Selection Factors
The ideal candidate will have:
- PhD and 10+ years’ experience in academic and commercial R&D setting with an extensive external network in the genomics community
- Executive leadership experience leading, developing and building successful global R&D organizations in life sciences and clinical diagnostics
- Strong customer/quality orientation with demonstrated ability to effectively build and manage customer and partner relationships at the most senior level
- Strong track record of successfully delivering products to market and driving results with a sense of urgency
- Experience developing and achieving regulatory approval for diagnostic products
- Ability to effectively influence customers, partners, vendors, and internal staff as required
- Strong talent management and people development and engagement skills
- Demonstrated success working in a global matrixed-environment.
- Proven track record of effectively driving organizational transformation through large scale change initiatives from a business and cultural standpoint
· Demonstrates passion and enthusiasm for an organization’s vision, and motivates, leads, and empowers others to achieve organizational goals
- Strong presence; capacity to influence and promote enthusiasm and support through verbal, written and presentation communications skills
· Willingness to travel up to 50%, both domestic and internationally, as required
- Demonstrates and drives the Thermo Fisher values – Integrity, Intensity, Involvement and Innovation (The Four I’s)
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join