When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
This position is responsible for managing and leading the activities of departmental personnel and resources to safely, efficiently, and effectively achieve the associate production schedule(s). This is accomplished by ensuring that staff is adequately trained in the safe and efficient operation of all required equipment, facilities and processes. This requires a focus on safety, quality and continuous process improvement.
What will you do?
This role requires effective day-to-day communication, collaboration, and resource coordination with Production Planning, Purchasing, Analytical Services, Quality Assurance, Warehouse/Distribution, Facilities, Engineering, New Product Commercialization (R&D), Product Management, Finance, and other functional areas.
Relevant Key Business Metrics include:
- Safety Performance
- Customer Complaint Reponses / Customer Allegiance
- Production Schedule Attainment – Work Order On-time, Backorders, Service Level
- First Pass Yield (Quality) and Scrap Reduction
- Manufacturing Cycle Time / Lead time reduction
- Talent Allegiance Score / Employee satisfaction
- Enhance the safety of employees by maintaining knowledge of relevant industrial safety issues and complying with all applicable safety, regulatory, and hygiene standards
- Understand and transfer the corporate business strategy, into a department vision and yearly plan, through the use of department policies, metrics and annual goal setting
- Use tools and data (e.g. key performance indicators, unit cost analysis, burden rate understanding, inventory turns, resource utilization, equipment maintenance, etc.) to manage department activities so that the business meets its production, return on investment and EBITA goals
- Responsible for the performance management and development (PMD) of all departmental associates, in collaboration with the supervisor(s) and/or lead(s) (if applicable). This includes providing appropriate documentation, recognition, coaching, and discipline as required
- Develop employees by providing professional development, training and documentation of training effectiveness
- Ensure effective employee cross-training so that all departmental functions are sufficiently staffed to meet demand
- Responsible for departmental budgeting (expense and capital) and staffing to ensure that business objectives are met and productivity improvements are realized
- Responsible for ensuring that work area equipment and facilities are properly maintained
- Work closely with other functional areas and work centers to coordinate and optimize an efficient production workflow
- Review production schedules and establish controls, ensuring schedules are met
- Schedule, assign and lead personnel to perform tasks and projects
- Ensure that all relevant documentation and procedures are up-to-date and effective
- Direct, prepare and/or revise documentation and written procedures including Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Batch Record Sheets (BRSs), metric reports, and incident reports
- Work with staff to reduce process variation, reduce costs, and develop effective standardized work
- Work to enhance overall effectiveness and productivity through the application of Lean Enterprise principles and tools including Practical Process Improvement (PPI), kaizen, waste elimination, 5S, standard work, visual management, and daily accountability
- Utilize analytical skills and statistical tools (e.g. Data Collection, Pareto analysis, Process Behavior/Control Charting, Design of Experiments, Sampling Plans) for data-based decision making
- Work with and support new product commercialization teams to successfully introduce new products on-time and within budget
- A B.S. degree in life sciences, chemistry, engineering, manufacturing operations, or a related field is preferred but not required
- A minimum of 5 years of direct people management experience, including supervision of non-exempt staff
- A demonstrated history of safety focus in an industrial manufacturing and/or operations management role
- Experienced leading continuous improvement efforts and implementing tools such as Practice Process Improvement, 5S, Kaizen, Six Sigma, etc.
- Excellent communication ability and skills (written, verbal, presentation, influence)
- Must be organized with the ability to effectively prioritize, plan work and delegate as needed
- Ability to provide role model leadership related to safety behavior and operational discipline
- Proven ability to achieve objectives by establishing a vision, determining strategies and directing resources
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities, in a fast paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to safely handle potentially hazardous materials and equipment
- Ability to represent assigned departmental areas, with various levels of Management, and disseminate information between upper management and area personnel
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PRMS (a plus)
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join