Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
Our research and Safety Division is looking for a European Planning & Purchasing Manager
Reporting directly to the Senior Director of Supply Chain RSD Europe the European Planning and Purchasing Manager will manage all operational aspects of the Planning and Purchasing teams in Europe as one integrated end to end process to ensure that all company and functional objectives are met in an effective and efficient way.
He will define strategy and provide direction for managing demand forecasting, inventory planning and stocking/deployment in Europe. The European Planning & Purchasing manager will define and roll out the different building blocks constituting the Sales Inventory & Operations Planning for RSD Europe. For this purpose he will establish a strong partnership with internal/external customers and suppliers.
Responsible for the transition of demand and inventory plans into faultlessly executed purchasing activity which underpins service delivery through optimized inventory and delivery routes.
Establish a culture of Lean and Continuous improvement within the Planning and Purchasing Teams through the deployment of the Lean PPI toolkit.
As a role model leader, attract, build and develop people within the Planning and Purchasing Teams in Illkirch and Loughborough from a professional, technical and best practice perspective.
Specific responsibilities include:
Set, manage and control the base Demand and Inventory planning system parameters, policies and standardized processes across all European sites, as well as SIOP process cross RSD Europe.
Establish and manage the demand and inventory plan across sites in order to deliver optimum service and inventory investment/quality as measured by demand forecast accuracy, fill rate, Days On Hand and Dead and Excess rates (shared with Purchasing Manager).
Set safety stock/ROP/EOQ and replenishment methods at site level and regionally in order to balance Customer experience and Financial commitments.
Perform on-going analysis (on both a pan-European and local level) to ensure that the system parameters deliver the expected results (adjust as appropriate).
Act as the focal point for strategic planning interactions between other business functions – Supply Chain Operations, Product Management and Customer Service.
Establish, co-ordinate and manage the Sales, Inventory and Operations (SiOP) process with the support of the SIOP manager
Act as the focal point for the adoption/development and implementation of standardized tool set and provide support for systems upgrades.
Provide insight to “best practice” within the internal and external function.
Manage the flow of accurate and timely delivery information from Supplier through to Customer.
Manage the Back-order process to minimize days of sales outstanding.
Manage exceptions to the demand and inventory plans on an item by item basis. Optimize the quality of the inventory – including Dead & Excess, Days on hand.
Manage the supply base to ensure that it is capable of accepting, processing and delivering purchase orders (and associated data flow) to RSD Europe sites on time and in full in a cost effective and efficient manner.
Manage the Purchase Order process from end to end (order suggestions to delivery/payment) in an efficient and optimal way.
Act as the focal point for day to day operational interactions between other business functions – Supply Chain Operations, In-bound Transportation, Product Management, Marketing and Customer Service.
Drive necessary root cause / counter measures to continuously improve Customer Allegiance, service levels to customer, supplier performance, backorder, working capital and inventory quality.
- In depth knowledge and experience of working and running demand/inventory planning and purchasing in multi-tiered distribution networks.
- In depth knowledge and experience of working with ERP systems and sophisticated planning tools (IBS or similar).
- Experience of change management and continuous improvement. Comfortable with working in a rapidly changing environment and organization.
- Strong people skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Expert understanding and experience of Lean and associated tools.
- Expert understanding of Supply Chain data.
- Expert knowledge of supply chain planning, ERP, MS Access and Excel software.
- Independent and self motivated. Sense of urgency and ownership.
- Qualified to degree level in a Supply Chain, Logistics or Production management discipline.
- Fluent in business English. Working knowledge of at least one other major European language desirable.
- Embodies the 4-I values: Leads, motivates, enables and inspires others to succeed using appropriate styles. Has a clear vision of what is required and acts as a positive role model.
- Drives continuous learning: Proactively supports change and adapts to changing circumstances. Encourages others to embrace change.
- Builds organizational relationships: Promotes collaboration and cross functional working. Understands the impacts of decisions on other parts of the organization.
- Leverages business acumen: Evaluates data and prioritizes actions to reach logical and profitable business decisions.
- Builds customer allegiance: Exceeds customer expectations by displaying total commitment to providing solutions of the highest possible standards.
- Communicates openly: Communicates effectively at all levels and across borders to successfully influence others.
- Drives growth: Actively influences events and proactively acts on opportunities. Initiates action and drives growth and improvement in processes and results.
- Develops people including self: Drives continuous learning, champions’ employee development and growth.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- European travel required (15-20%)
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join