Pushing the boundaries of discovery
With more than 60 years of innovation and leadership, our company enables customers to find meaningful answers to questions that accelerate breakthrough discoveries, increase productivity, and ultimately change the world. We design, manufacture, and support the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales.
Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets, the worldwide team of 3200 people is dedicated to customers pursuit of discovery and resolution to global challenges.
Thermo Fisher Scientific acquired FEI Company in September of 2016 as a part of the Analytical Instruments Group (AIG) in the newly-formed Materials and Structural Analysis Division (MSD).
Check out these video’s to get more insight in what it means to work on our complex High-Tech Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM). These high-end tools are being produced and developed in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- Corporate organizationhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSxT6Y099I
- Inside the Titan Transmission Electron Microscopehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
- How to make a microscopehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6J_f4yVVg
- The installation of a Talos System at the University of Chicago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rTgRq7iD0
The Sr. Software Designer will be part of an enthusiastic team which is responsible for Sample management. This comprises Sample Manipulation (Stages), Sample Transfer (Loading, transport),Sample Conditioning, Sample Stimulation etc. You will be responsible for the full software development cycle of new features, product enhancement and new applications. Your assignment will be a mixture of the following activities:
- Software specification based on system performance and requirements
- Develop designs based on a full comprehension of the function, purpose and application of the product.
- Align on architectural guidelines and re-use of components with other engineers
- Contribute to the architectural software roadmap using the sw product roadmaps and vision. Implement and integrate while making practical development choices given limited design information and defined delivery schedules.
- Troubleshooting and debugging of software programs in a simulation as well as on the microscope systems available for development.
- Conduct bug fixing on existing issues through software implementation, development of test methodologies and performing unit tests.
- Act as the authoritative owner of multiple functional characteristics and/or modules of the specified software application.
- Mentoring and coaching less experienced Software Engineers within the team.
The ideal candidate for this position enjoys working in a multi-disciplinary technical environment to solve complex technical problems. If you enjoy the development of software solutions on top of high-performance systems, this is an excellent opportunity. The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- Typically requires, BSc or MSc degree in Computer Science, Informatics, or related technical discipline.
- 5-7 years’ experience in object oriented development of technical software for high-tech equipment
- Preference for development experience on top of highly-integrated, high-performance systems used in semiconductor capital equipment or related industries. At a minimum, development experience with medium sized software applications.
- Must demonstrate clear ability to develop effective integration software for complex, high-performance subsystems and components.
- Able to work on diverse objectives and problems where analysis of situation or data requires an evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Knowledge of interoperability between different programming languages
Qualified candidates should have proven ability to program using the following languages and techniques within the listed development environments:
- Object Oriented Design and/or State Modeling
- State-of-the-Art C++ (including Boost/STL, C++11/14)
- Visual Studio, Windows 7
Further preference given for hands on experience with one or more of the following areas:
- Agile/Scrum Development
- Model Driven designs and Domain Specific languages
- TDD, Unit testing
- Source control management (RTC, Git)
- Component Development (ATL/COM)
- Visual C#/.NET
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills are required due to the high degree of interaction and collaboration (multi-site)
- Good communicational skills (both written and verbal) and good knowledge of English
- Team player
- Candidate must be able to work in a cross-disciplinary scrum team in a dynamic product development environment
- Strong analytical view combined with pragmatic attitude (flexibility)
- Value orientation, getting to the essence, setting and acting according to priorities
- Proactive and result orientation
- Curious, fast learning (mostly on the job)