The Molecular Tools Product Manager Director is a global position leading a cross functional team responsible for the growth of a strategic Molecular Biology market segment. Responsibilities include product portfolio strategy and day-to-day business execution. This cross functional role will include strategy development, product road map design, product development, and marketing through commercialization. This position is an integral part of the business unit’s leadership team and requires management and development of direct reports.
- Provide product management leadership, from concept to commercialization (full product lifecycle).
- Develop long-range product strategies and guide fiscal planning for future positioning, growth, and evolution of the product platform. This includes identifying, establishing and managing strategic relationships with customers, suppliers and industry opinion leaders. This role is ultimately responsible for revenue, margin, customer satisfaction, and market share objectives.
- Serve as the leader of a cross-functional team, leading voice of customer research, multi-generational product definition, product features, performance requirements and tradeoffs, product value proposition and business case. Translate this output and future direction and provide leadership and objectives for R&D and any Technology Development and Business Development efforts.
- Serve as portfolio champion with internal stakeholders, regional teams, and key accounts team members. Will maintain close interaction with field organizations (e.g., sales and technical support) through training and active participation in the sales process, including customer visits, pricing tactics, and customer support.
- Responsible for strong partnerships across local Research teams and the Molecular Biology R&D teams for delivery of on-time product launches, commercial enablement strategies and tactics, and commercial success of new novel technology/innovation products and launches.
- Leveraging Business Development to develop optimal licensing, partnership, and acquisition strategies that expand product portfolio.
- Partner with Commercial colleagues to ensure pricing framework enables field sales success by determining optimal catalog prices, providing appropriate level of pricing/discounting, responding to competitive opportunities, and meeting profitability objectives.
- Build, lead and develop the product management team including: talent acquisition, training, and enablement for success. Responsible to enable a high performing business team through effective coaching and development.
- Collaborate with other Thermo Fisher organizations to develop new and leverage existing capabilities and resources.
Key Selection Factors/Requirements:
- Demonstrated expertise and knowledge in the Life Science market.
- Degree in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, chemistry, or related discipline. M.Sc., or PhD preferred. MBA strongly preferred.
- Experience in strategic marketing and product management.
- 5+ years of people management and business leadership.
- General Management of new business initiatives with experience leading, developing and growing successful businesses with highly technical products in the life science research and clinical diagnostics markets preferred.
- Demonstrated success leading in a highly matrixed global organizational structure.
- Ability to attract, develop, engage and retain high potential and diverse talent.
- Strong customer/quality orientation with demonstrated ability to effectively build and manage customer and partner relationships at the most senior level.
- Metrics and data driven with exceptional skill managing a team to over achieve objectives based on sound commercial processes and through the deployment of continuous improvement methodologies.
- Strong change management skills and experiences.
- Strong personal drive and motivation to reach new objectives and drive change.
- Relationship architect; able to build a strong network of influential supporters.
- Strong financial acumen; able to understand impact of negotiation points on a business engagement.