The Director, Academic Strategic Accounts - NA Regional Corporate Accounts owns the relationships between assigned strategic academic accounts and the entire Thermo Fisher Scientific enterprise. He/she will create the overall account strategy, and interface with the Thermo Fisher divisions to optimize the divisional account strategy and improve the overall customer experience. The Director will provide sales leadership, facilitate existing opportunities and manage and develop opportunities and projects that drive incremental revenue at the strategic academic accounts. He/she will develop senior level relationships within assigned accounts as well as within the relevant Thermo Fisher operating divisions to plan and execute an account strategy designed to maximize accretive revenues and partner at the highest levels with the customer. The outcomes of this approach are the creation of “value” for the customer, a proactive & collaborative business relationship moving forward, and incremental, profitable and sustainable revenue for Thermo Fisher.
- Responsible for proactive leadership and management of high level customer interactions in order to maximize Thermo Fisher performance with identified strategic accounts
- Effectively execute Thermo Fisher approach to interacting with the C-level, procurement and scientific decision makers, and other influential contacts in assigned strategic accounts to ensure mutually beneficial business results for Thermo Fisher and the account.
- Understands all aspects of account profitability and delivers performance that achieves Thermo Fisher’s business objectives.
- Executive presence and comfort level in working with managers at different levels, including C-level, within Thermo Fisher and the customer’s organization.
- Ensures that organization structure and focus (direct and indirect) support account strategy and/or signed agreement. Accountable for influencing internal divisional stakeholders to generate end customer value and, holding customer accountable to delivering upon their commitments to Thermo Fisher.
- Develops an in-depth understanding of the strategic direction and business operations within assigned strategic accounts.
- Utilizes knowledge of industry trends and Thermo Fisher portfolio of products and services and customer value proposition to establish targeted customer solutions to achieve short term revenue and long term business goals. Leverages all that Thermo Fisher brings to market.
- Manages and develops channel relationships in accordance with customer goals and commitments.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, ability to maintain and promote diplomacy to arrive at mutually beneficial outcomes.
- BA/BS required, MBA preferred.
- 8-10 years of relevant work experience; strong background in science and life science market. Minimum of 5 years sales leadership experience with a strong track record for sales achievement through solution selling that drives incremental value.
- Proven record for adopting and using sales/finance tools like Miller-Heiman ,SFDC and advanced spreadsheets to manage performance, sales process and communicate internally.
- High level of comfort and proven ability to interact with and influence senior procurement and C-suite customers in highly complex negotiations and large contractual business deals
- Demonstrated experience managing complex higher-value accounts with proven ability to coordinate activities and influence actions in a matrix environment. Academic experience a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Ability to effectively articulate the customer value proposition with executive level contacts.
- Strong project management skills; analysis, planning, organization, execution and follow-up.
- Exhibits internal & external organizational savvy, able to involve and engage various functional support areas to support strategies in a matrix environment.
- Proven ability to handle high pressure situations.
- Demonstrated ability in leadership, high level presentation skills and financial/business acumen
- Knowledge of Salesforce, Word, Excel and PowerPoint a must
- Travel required (~60%)
- Develop and foster strong customer relationships at senior levels (C-suite, R&D, Finance, Operations).
- Work closely with customers and industry organizations to develop a deep understanding of focus areas and organization imperatives, building strong and collaborative relationships with key contacts.
- Act as Thermo Fisher Scientific face to customer/point person for targeted senior-level customer relationships.
- Provide guidance and support for unresolved customer-facing issues escalated by customer / account team.
- Craft holistic regional/account strategy that spans the breadth of Thermo Fisher Scientific offerings based on opportunity assessment of targeted accounts.
- Develop and articulate value proposition specific to targeted customers that will resonate and reflect the depth and scale of Thermo Fisher Scientific.
- Develop detailed business development account plans that profile opportunities by functional area, and work closely with account team to execute on plan.
- Develop a robust understanding of the competition (e.g. high-level financials, client segmentation, product portfolio, strategy) and implications to account planning process.
- Drive overall performance of the account team, coordinating with account team to ensure strong commercial execution.
- Strategically engage Thermo Fisher resources to enhance customer experience at targeted accounts.
- Monitor competitive activities to understand implications and react accordingly
- Drive lead coordination and communication across account team. Conduct regular program strategy discussions and review with account team in given geography. Conduct periodic account specific meetings with high-touch reps for account-specific strategy discussion/review.
- Coordinate with account team to establish baseline customer engagement and project pipeline.
- Coordinate with account team to capture and report incremental customer engagement and pipeline activity.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join