When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
As the most senior R&D Manager of Molecular Biology Business in USA, the Senior R&D Manager is a key appointment in research management and governance in Carlsbad, having a strategic and operational role at local and national levels. The Senior R&D Manager will provide strong leadership and vision within R&D, delivering and improving a management and governance framework that creates a supportive and productive environment for the team of scientists working under his guidance. The suitable candidate will be skilled in developing and maturing new ideas and novel technical approaches within and outside of his/her technical domain of expertise, in developing talents and delivering to demanding project timelines in an industrial environment. He/She will have a solid foundation in molecular biology with a PhD in a closely related discipline whilst also having notable experience in product development. Experience in working with or developing of NGS products would be beneficial. Proven communication and teamwork skills are essential in this role, which operates in a dynamic and matrix organization in global environment. The Senior R&D Manager is accountable to the R&D Director and will work, in concert with the R&D Director and Product Management, to build, review, prioritize, and execute the Molecular Biology R&D project portfolio.
What will you do?
- Responsible for management of a team of 5-10 direct reports. Plans annual budget of the group (including capital investment) and constantly monitors expenses.
- Provides input to business unit leadership on Business development and licensing opportunities.
- Contributes well-considered ideas for new products and identifies new technologies of significant value to the company/division. Provides input in setting the scientific direction for the company.
- Builds business/technical case analyses with Product Management. Makes proposals to management.
- Serves as Technical Leader on R&D projects of significant complexity. Mentors other Technical Leaders. Works closely with R&D Managers and Technical Leaders to implement plans.
- Maintains extensive knowledge of relevant fields and techniques. Advises senior management on complex technology issues and on optimizing business practices.
- Develops and cultivates relationships with Key Opinion Leaders in strategic business’ domains.
- Attends scientific conferences and represents business externally to commercial and academic partners through talks, tutorials, publications. Represents R&D department to other sites and divisions for cross-site collaborations, projects and implementation of best practices.
- Provides recommendations and presents proposals and project updates to the New Product PAC.
- Implements PPI tools and leads PPI activities within the group.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 14+ years experience and a Bachelors of Science degree or 12+ years experience and a Master’s of Science degree or 10+ years of experience and PhD.
- 2+ years experience in managing the team of three or more scientists
- Ability to proactively build relationships with other geographically distinct functional groups
- Strong knowledge of relevant scientific fields and is looked to as an expert in specific areas within technical area.
- Demonstrated skill in all relevant laboratory procedures and use of equipment.
- Analyzes experimental and financial data. Evaluates the schedule, scope, cost, and risks associated with research and development programs.
- Use of word processing, graphing, presentation and spreadsheet programs effectively.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills through formal and informal discussions with peers, team, colleagues, supervisor, and upper management.
- Has an understanding of operations management issues and business finance.
How will you get here?
- Experience in working with or developing of NGS products
- Experience multitasking and leading multiple projects and evaluations
- Utilizes external network of researchers in areas of interest to company.
- Recommends improvements to departmental, site, and corporate practices and processes.
- Reads papers and business/market reports in depth in one or more relevant scientific areas, builds expertise. Advise on recent developments in the scientific community and competitors.
- Serves as primary author of scientific publications (posters/papers) and presents at scientific conferences and external customer sites.
- Mentors and manages group effectively. Displays leadership across company and externally.
- Independently develops a research program of greater complexity and implements with staff.
- Demonstrated track record of several successful products/scientific contributions of higher complexity to company. Provides guidance/ideas to team members.
- Reinforces strong relationships within R&D and other departments (Marketing/Product Management/Business Development/Tech Transfer)
- Sets a companywide example for others through thoroughness, accuracy, and commitment.
- Experience providing leadership and career development guidance.
- Maintains an accurate and detailed lab notebook and personnel records.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join