As the world’s leader in serving science, Thermo Fisher Scientific is a driving force in the research, healthcare, industrial and applied markets, generating more than USD 20 billion in annual revenue. No other company can match our range of customer touch points – technologically, geographically or commercially. We help our customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment, making sure our food is safe and moving forward with thousands of important projects that improve millions of lives. At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission - enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
This role is stationed at our Materials and Structural Analysis Division in Eindhoven where we develop and produce Transmission Electron Microscopes.(TEM)
- Inside the Titan Transmission Electron Microscope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
- How to make a microscope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6J_f4yVVg
The Supervisor Engineering Data Management (EDM) leads the Engineering Data Management Group within the Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Organization at Thermo Fisher Scientific. The EDM group is responsible for Engineering Change Control processes supporting new product design, volume production all through the product end of life. This group collaborates closely with the PLM, Product Marketing, R&D, manufacturing, logistics, purchasing, quality, and Technical Service Support groups within Thermo Fisher Scientific to archive and maintain engineering data throughout the product lifecycle.
The department consists of 21 people globally and 8 people onsite in the team in Eindhoven. This role reports directly into our global EDM engineering manager, stationed in NL and manages 7 people onsite in Eindhoven. On average the Engineering Data Management group processes 2100 engineering changes (ECO’s) per year of which 800 are processed in Eindhoven.
The primary focus of the Supervisor EDM is to manage the Engineering Data Management group to provide archiving and change process control for all Thermo Fisher Scientific engineering data. The position closely interfaces with various Thermo Fisher Scientific functions and departments to solve complex problems and to ensure that system specifications are met in compliance with Thermo Fisher Scientific’s requirements for product shipment to customers. The function also monitors and coaches team members’ professional and technical development.
Specific deliverables associated with this position include:
- Leads and manages the Engineering Data Management group, which may include a team of engineers, designers and drafters.
- Ensures proper staffing of team to provide adequate levels of technical expertise for documentation screening and archiving, conducting engineering changes, and executing design change requests.
- Guides team members’ professional development by goal setting, mentoring and providing challenges for further growth.
- Manages EDM group technical competence requirements and development (including education, training, coaching, and collaboration).
- Supports local and global Operations team in its strategy and deliverables
- Responsibility for management of Thermo Fisher Scientific Engineering data, optimization of Engineering processes and interfaces to other departments.
- Justifies and coordinates approval for outsourcing (part of the) Engineering Data Management services.
- Develops and cultivates close relationships with R&D, PLM, TSS, Logistics, Sourcing, Sustaining Products, Manufacturing, Quality, and Application managers to adequately staff projects and resolve conflicts.
- Facilitates and may lead cross-functional improvement and other Operations projects from inception to completion.
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- Bachelor or university degree in a technical discipline, or a combination of education and experience that demonstrates the required skills
- Typically requires 5+ years of experience in high-tech industry environment in service, development or manufacturing
- Demonstrated experience participating in or managing cross-site and cross-functional projects
- Typically requires 3-5 years management experience (people and/or projects) in a manufacturing, technical support or service management role in a high tech industry environment
- Ability to lead and develop technical teams
- Ability to develop people via mentoring and coaching
- Experience with effective management of escalations and high-pressure situations
- Ability to plan and resolve issues that involve gaining cooperation of multiple cross-functional departments and sites without damaging relationships.
- Basic knowledge of cross-site and cross-functional projects management, data analysis and resource planning
- Demonstrated ability to provide clear and concise analysis of data, systematic problem solving and basic experimental methods, test protocols and procedures that include multiple factors
- Ability to persuade, inspire and motivate others
- Must have ability to obtain a valid passport and travel regionally and internationally as required (up to 10% of working time)
- Fluent in English and local language (verbal and in writing)
- Must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills
The successful candidate will be a people manager who is able to influence, persuade and energizing his team while driving for results and high quality outputs.
Holistic thinking and strong communicative skills will be key success factors to demonstrate effective judgment and decision making in turn leading to perfect customer satisfaction.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join