Scientific Engineer, Product Development
Requisition ID: 60911BR
South San Francisco
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
We are seeking a Scientist to work within a multidisciplinary team of engineers and molecular biologists. The responsibilities will include working on projects related to real-time qPCR platforms that lead to new applications and performance improvements. The projects include applications for existing as well as new product platforms. Duties will include, but not limited to, running experiments on various qPCR and sample preparation platforms, designing assays and experiments, collecting, analyzing, and presenting data, drafting new liquid handler scripts to improve workflows. This individual will be working closely with molecular biologists and system engineers and is desired to have background knowledge of the related fields. Additionally, it is essentially for this individual to have strong verbal and written communication skills.
What will you do?
- Independently write scripts and develop qPCR automated workflows using the Biomek FX instrument
- Design TaqMan qPCR assays for the detection of various gene targets
- Independently design experiments to screen variables and optimize workflows
- Write detailed SOPs, analyze data, and generate reports
- Troubleshoot instrument and workflow failures
How will you get here?
- Proficient with developing and optimizing qPCR workflows using automated liquid handler
- Experienced in qPCR assay design and development
- Experienced with current molecular biology techniques for qPCR and nucleic acid purification/ preparation
- Motivated and demonstrate adaptability to work in a fast-paced team environment
- Resourceful and flexible with creativity to solve complex problems
- Maintains a detailed and organized lab notebook
- Embraces diversity of culture and thought
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- An independent individual with qPCR assay design and development experience for qPCR systems
- Proficient with Matlab, Python, or similar tools for mining, wrangling, analysis, and visualization of large data sets
- Proficient with JMP, R or similar tools for statistical analysis and visualization
- Experience with a variety of laboratory instrumentation for qPCR, sample preparation, and automation (preferably Biomek FX)
- Possess strong organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrate good laboratory practices and accurate/precise pipetting techniques
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join