Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $22B and 65,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
Analytical Instruments Group - Materials & Structural Analysis Division
Our Thermo Scientific brand in the analytical instruments group offers customers in research, academic, industrial and applied markets a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software and services. In the materials and structural analysis division we design, manufacture, and support the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales. Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, FTIR, NIR, NMR UV/VIS and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets. Our laboratory elemental analyzers use x-ray fluoresce (XRD), x-ray diffraction (XRD), and arc spark optical emission (EOS) techniques for precise analysis of bulk materials in the metals, cement, minerals and petrochemicals industries. Our material characterization instruments include rheometers and extruders that measure viscosity, elasticity, process ability and temperature related material changes of various materials. We also provide a range of elemental analysis instruments used in product development. Our worldwide team of 4,600 employees is dedicated to customers’ pursuit accelerating innovation and driving productivity.
Check out these video’s!
- Corporate organization https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSxT6Y099I
- Inside the Titan Transmission Electron Microscope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
- How to make a microscope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6J_f4yVVg
- the installation of a Thalos System at the University of Chicago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rTgRq7iD0
The Production Engineering Organization at FEI is focused on developing and implementing world class initiatives in accordance with Operational Excellence. Product Engineers at FEI are expected to lead the key initiatives of "Fast new Product Cycle Times" & "Fast Flexible Factories" and provide ownership and direction of the Product Management Process (PMP) process. This starts at the requirements phase in R&D and continues via alpha testing to a production ready implementation of tools in our manufacturing department. You will guide this implementation, train / troubleshoot and release. You focus on project management until products come to a mature phase in their lifecycle. Generally, you have 1 or 2 main projects running simultaneously in various phases, depending on module or integration projects. This you will balance with multiple smaller activities.
The PositionThe Production Engineer is responsible for the smooth introduction of new products into the factory and field. This position interfaces with R&D, Product Marketing, manufacturing, service, logistics, purchasing, and quality groups to ensure development of sustainable products according to the latest quality standards, at lowest COGS and in line with best practices.
Specific deliverables associated with this position include:
- Engage with design engineers early in the Product Management Process (PMP) for New Product Introductions (NPI). This includes analysis and investigation and response to systems design proposals. Specific attention will be placed on design for manufacturability, testability, reliability, sustainability and serviceability. In this phase your will interact mostly with our R&D department.
- Manage complex projects from inception to completion (from R&D requirements phase to field validation and first 6 months approx. after shipment.) After that our sustaining team takes over.
- Set up training for manufacturing, service and sustaining engineers in new product build, test, install and repair procedures. Possibly develop advanced troubleshooting procedures. Develop and maintain technical product documentation, Manufacturing and Service work instructions and process documentation. Training plus documentation set up will be mostly done shortly before introduction in manufacturing and field and requires efficient interaction with the service documentation group.
- Support factory and field service engineers with first builds, installs and upgrades of newly introduced systems and modules to ensure proper working order. This may require travel to various customer locations worldwide to support installations and upgrades. In practice this is once a year.
- Conduct detailed troubleshooting and analysis of system or component level problems that affect reliability, performance, list hours, manufacturability etc., you will interpret business intelligence information and solve problems according to the Shainin method.
- Support the supply chain with Engineering Change Order execution and engineering expertise for component and subassembly sourcing. This includes the analysis of parts for reliability, vendor qualification and supplier quality issues. May require some interaction with external suppliers/vendors.
- Support Field Service and the Global Technical Support with product and/or process escalations as necessary.
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- Typically required, a Bachelor or Master degree in a technical discipline such as Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or other relevant degree
- Typically requires 2-7 years of experience and engineering working knowledge
- Candidate must have hands-on mentality, you love high end technical complex tools and problems.
- Additional preference for working knowledge of electron beam technology and basic software programming.
- Being able to read and interpret Business Intelligence data and take appropriate action on data found, problems occurring, manage and involve necessary stakeholders. Solid computer skills are required (Word, Excell)
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to plan and resolve issues that involve gaining cooperation of multiple cross-functional departments and sites without damaging relationships
A highly dynamic and challenging high tech environment where you will be interfacing with stakeholders across all levels of our organization. We guide you through factory training in the first 5 months, where you will learn ins and outs on our Transmission Electron Microscopes! You will be trained in our PMP process, mentored by our specialists and will learn project management. We offer decent contract with a good market conform salary and excellent secondary benefit, training.