The incumbent will support policies, practices and procedures that ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and corporate safety and environmental regulations for the Thermo Fisher Scientific at the Carolina, Puerto Rico site. The incumbent will help to achieve a safe work environment, and minimize impact to the environment. In addition this role will help to drive cost savings by improving productivity (PPI – Product Performance Improvement) and using resources as efficiently as possible, including reducing waste, and optimizing our use of raw materials and energy while operating in the manufacturing area. In addition the EHS Specialist will work directly with the assemblies or sub-assemblies of products components related to the manufacturing of electrodes and/or QC according to established specifications and instructions.
- Maintain and improve the current EHS management system and OHSA log.
- Maintain site EHS permits, and coordinate any inspections and necessary follow up actions.
- Lead EHS productivity/sustainability initiatives at the site and engage employees to identify projects that result in less waste, energy or water and encourage reuse of resources.
- Deliver and track training programs for employees. Develop, implement, deliver, and track EHS training programs.
- Carry out and coordinate periodic inspections to ensure that EHS standards are routinely met.
- Oversee and conduct incident investigation and root cause analysis.
- Key member of site emergency response and incident management team.
- Track and analyze site monthly Environmental Health and Safety trending metrics in collaboration with Site Safety Committee.
- Assist in providing technical and regulatory support for chemical handling, biosafety, hazardous and bio hazardous waste, industrial hygiene.
- Assist with job hazard analysis assessments and new equipment and/or process safety reviews.
- Participate in safety audits as appropriate and the EHS inspection program and track corrective action items to completion.
- Interface with regulatory agencies on EHS matters.
- Support annual environmental permit submissions, assist with preparation of regulatory reports (e.g., wastewater, hazardous materials business plans, air district reports etc.).
- Support a culture where employees at all levels take ownership for safety. Engage employees in safety initiatives to eliminate or control safety hazards and reduce risk of an injury.
- Work in the QC area as backup for operations.
- May be required to perform other production rolls/duties as required and/or assigned.
- Drive cost savings by improving productivity (PPI – Product Performance Improvement) and using resources as efficiently as possible.
- Requires a minimum of B.S. degree
- Proven proficiency developing and delivering technical training modules
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer applications, including word processing, spreadsheet, and slide presentations required.
- 3 years of experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience in an environmental, health, safety, and sustainability related discipline is highly recommended, or a willingness to quickly become proficient is required.
- Requires professional EHS training to NEBOSH national general certificate or equivalent as a minimum, or a willingness to quickly become certified is required.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with minimum supervision and execute on goals and objectives.
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills in English and Spanish
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required, and ability to interact with and engage others at all levels in the organization including the ability to interact with outside regulatory agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize, evaluate, and recommend controls for workplace hazards.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join