The VP, Business Development is a senior level leadership position and a critical member of the division leadership team. The VP, Business Development is responsible for managing key OEM relationships and developing new ones, driving business development initiatives, and implementing an effective M&A strategy within the division.The role reports directly to the division president and must successfully build strong relationships across all business units and functional departments within the division, group and corporate development and strategic accounts organization. This position works closely with the Division President and peers to develop and execute strategies to drive long term growth and profitability and shape the culture of the organization. The leader in this position must be able to operate at both the strategic and tactical levels with a customer-centric, strong business growth mindset. This position reports to the Divisional President and is a key part of the Divisional management team responsible for shaping the overall strategy, direction and culture for CDD.
- Manage a global, decentralized business development team located throughout the division’s business units
- Serve as the division’s leader in developing new business and strategic partnerships around the world, particularly with large diagnostics customers
- Establish relationships with the senior leadership teams of our top OEM customers to ensure that the company is positioned to meet their existing and future needs
- Lead the Business Development process, including the evaluation of new business opportunities, investments, licensing opportunities, potential partnerships and other strategic growth opportunities for the division
- Partner with Corporate Development and CDD Leadership to develop and implement the division’s M&A strategy
- Increase the division’s ability to properly market its OEM and contract manufacturing offerings by staffing and managing a dedicated marketing resource
- Lead key account reviews
- Analyze industry dynamics and the competitive landscape and identify opportunities for expansion in key growth markets and regions
- Develop an organizational structure and robust processes that promote an exceptional customer and team experience.
- Lead the development of a global strategy including determining growth/investment priorities.
- Develop and coach team, upgrade capabilities and recruit and retain exceptional talent.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in business, life sciences or other related field
- MBA or related advanced degree desired but not required
- 15+ years of in-depth commercial, business development, OEM relationship management and/or marketing in the in vitro diagnostics, or related, industry
- Industry Experience – In Vitro Diagnostics experience required. Understands how the Clinical Lab works.
- Willingness to travel up to 40%, both domestic and internationally, as required
- Strong business acumen and a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with key business partners and customers
- Demonstrated track record of building business and driving growth
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills, with a demonstrated ability to influence through a straight-forward style of communication
- Keen interpersonal and customer relationship skills
- Proven leadership skills and team-building acumen across a diverse group of individuals
- Demonstrated success working in a global, matrixed-environment with ability to influence without direct authority
- Background in a regulated manufacturing environment preferred