Thermo Fisher Scientific is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
The Facilities & Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for the equipment and facilities of MBD Operations and all activities delegated to Facilities. The position is also responsible for all Security related activities, project planning and coordination within the facilities. Additional duties and other projects may be assigned as necessary.
This position will be under the direction and guidance of the Site & Operations Leader but will take direction from other managers in the Company on a project basis and support the business as a whole. This position will work independently and will involve direct management in cases where additional guidance is needed.
The position will be responsible all of the site’s facilities and equipment requirements. This will require internal repairs and maintenance of the facilities and production equipment and management of external contracts to ensure the equipment and utilities meet quality standards and requirements.
- Planning and undertaking scheduled maintenance
- Creating maintenance procedures
- Responding to breakdowns
- Diagnosing faults
- Repairing equipment
- Hands-on process operations
- Managing stocks of supplies and equipment
- Obtaining specialist components, fixtures or fittings
- Managing budgets
- Ensuring compliance with health and safety legislation
- Feasibility, preliminary scope and justification for CAPEX projects to meet current and future facility and utilities requirements.
- Ensure facilities and utilities projects are delivered to the site standards for Safety, Regulatory and internal customer requirements
- Manage and rationalize site facilities and utilities contracts to including budget review, vendor analysis, contract negotiation, contract management all to meet Service Level Agreements and required standards. Including but not limited to:
- Security/reception/office services
- Site waste stream
- Pest control
- Utilities contracts
- Engineering stores
- Site maintenance and calibration contracts
- Office furniture
- Fleet management
- Manage the contractors at the site, deliver and sustain the facility standards.
- Ensure safety and regulatory inspections are completed on time in full (example, pressure systems)Provide innovative technical solutions required to meet business objectives with emphasis on safety, quality and productivity.
- Manage and lead the effort to maintain safe, healthy, and environmentally friendly buildings and operational processes.
- Ensure facility repairs, improvements, and required regulatory changes are addressed and completed as quickly and often as possible or by a deadline as assigned.
- Suggest improvements and provide detailed plans to better the workplace facilities.
- Maintain emergency systems management such as the fire suppression systems.
- Responds to emergencies as appropriate during off-hours, holidays, and weekends.
- Maintain contact with our Security Services vendor.
- Establish effective communications and collaborations with personnel at all company levels to ensure that facilities issues are known and stay abreast of issues or concerns that impact the quality of work life in Company facilities.
- Respond immediately to resolve any safety related issues. Develop sustainable solutions to these issues when necessary.
- Collaborate with the relevant personnel on an on-going basis regarding any facility findings from investigations or audits that will need to be addressed.
- Ensure all project and vendor/contractor work being done meets EH&S policies, practices and procedures.
- Maintain all site repair and improvement activities using any applicable Logs and/or registers.
- Ensure our facilities are kept clean and neat at all times.
- Ensure company vehicles are maintained in accordance with policy and safety requirements.
- Ensure a walk around of each of the warehouse/operations facilities is completed frequently utilizing a checklist to ensure proper EH&S practices are continued and housekeeping and safety non-conformances are corrected quickly.
- Work directly with applicable Supervisors/Managers regarding personnel issues related to safety and/or facilities management to ensure the issues are addressed.
- Develop, maintain, and manage practices and procedures for managing projects, quotes and work orders that will ensure clarity, organization, and EH&S compliance is met.
- Prepare a checklist of status of projects and tasks – provide Manager with a weekly report detailing the current status of the project based on the checklist.
- Comply with all applicable safety regulations.
- Acts as liaison with vendors and contractors. Recommends alternative products or services to accomplish goals.
- Ensures completion of preventative maintenance on equipment and building systems as established in department procedures and audits, and required by regulatory agencies. Stays abreast of laws, rules, and regulations could impact the operation.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Minimum requirements/ Qualifications and Experience:
- National Diploma in Electrical Engineering or similar qualification
- Experience in programming of intelligent devices
- Good understanding of mechanics
- A minimum of 5 years relevant industrial experience
- An ability to work well under pressure
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Relevant technical knowledge and a passion for DIY projects
- Problem-solving skills
- Efficiency and organisation
- Teamworking skills
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join