When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
The position responsibility includes leading the following Carlsbad plant product line value streams, to achieve required business results: gel production; NGS formulation, filling & finishing; & Antibody manufacturing. The Sr. Manager insures that parts produced by the Value Streams are manufactured with the highest level of quality in a safe & timely manner that will meet or exceed customer expectations. The position is responsible for direct management of the 1st & 2nd shift gel production supervisors, the NGS supervisor & the Manager of the Antibody value stream. This position may also manage individual contributors that may specialize in areas of business analytics, manufacturing &/or planning tools or system development, or project management.
The Sr. Manager is directly responsible for overall performance of the production teams including safety, quality, delivery, inventory, & productivity. This position performs as liaison & relationship builder to internal suppliers, support functions, & customers in Sourcing, Planning, Procurement, Quality, Engineering & Maintenance, R&D, Product & Business Management, & other manufacturing sites, to create value across the organization that focuses on improving the external customer experience to drive customer allegiance. This position provides influential leadership guidance that ensures product planning, scheduling, sourcing, materials availability, & equipment maintenance are effective in enabling the teams & plant to achieve customer focused & financial goals including profitable growth & inventory management expectations. The role drives the implementation of PPI-Lean Enterprise, is the Lean Manufacturing resource responsible for eliminating waste & improving flow throughout the team, & is responsible for building a culture that is effective at root cause & corrective, preventive action. The role is responsible for ensuring proper training for all associates within its management, to ensure safety, & drive quality & delivery excellence.
J What will you do?
- Maintains a safe work environment, a high level of safety awareness among associates, & implements 5S principles.
- Performs all job duties in a safe manner, consistent with the Code of Ethics and follows all ISO & Regulatory Compliance standards.
- Must possess excellent communication skills and lives the Thermo Fisher Scientific 4-I core values of Integrity, Intensity, Innovation, and Involvement.
- Provides guidance, direction & leadership to insure that parts are manufactured with the highest level of quality in a safe and timely manner that will meet or exceed customer expectations; fosters a culture of root cause through use of 5-Why tools.
- Conducts fact-based analysis using lean techniques to create value, eliminate waste & drive continuous process improvement related to safety, quality, delivery, inventory, and productivity.
- Mentors and develops direct reports and entire team. Effectively coaches and develops other people leaders, including managers and supervisors.
- Provides timely, honest, and specific feedback and helps employees grow and succeed; actively promotes individual development planning.
- Listens, supports, engages and encourages employee suggestions and input to achieve excellent results.
- Recognizes exemplary employee contributions and behaviors.
- Creates environments of transparency and trust in which employee can communicate their opinions openly
- Develops and executes short and long term strategy for team capacity, equipment and capital planning, flow and manufacturing footprint management, and program initiatives in support of plant wide X matrix.
- Establishes goals, sets priorities and coordinates all related activities within the team to drive focus towards meeting or exceeding established common business objectives from the Site Goal Tree and Strategic plant plan.
- Acts as a plant wide business partner for resource sharing/deployment towards the highest priority plant initiatives.
- Leads PPI strategy, PPI funnel building & execution, and PPI coaching; champions PPI charters
- Active participation in Daily Management: Tier 4 active participant; Attends Tier 3 to observe and coach managers/supervisors
- Monitors, reviews, and improves manufacturing and quality related activities and drives corrective and preventative actions. Focuses team on using standardized work practices.
- Oversees and manages team expenses to meet budgets and financial objectives and proactively seeks opportunities to drive improvement of the operating results.
- Responsible for maintaining proper staffing levels, scheduling & organizing work assignments within the company policies and procedures.
- Provides leadership guidance during Gemba walks.
- Manages team KPIs and trends. Identifies gaps, evaluates root cause with data driven approach, implements countermeasures effectively.
- Implements FMEA process as a tool to drive quality improvement of the product and the process.
- Performs other duties and cross training as assigned.
How will you get here?
- Advanced degree such as an MBA is a plus; BS or equivalent degree required.
- 10+ years of progression in manufacturing leadership positions of increasing responsibility, with a preference for experience in reagent consumables manufacturing settings requiring high reliance on effective equipment maintenance and capital planning.
- Multi shift management experience is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Strong leadership and decision making ability.
- Knowledge of process engineering, standardization and documentation and strong organizational and leadership skills, with proven ability to effectively plan, implement and administer programs to achieve business objectives.
- Knowledge, experience or training in Lean techniques and proficient in process auditing.
- Possess a continuous process improvement mindset with the ability to effectively lead and manage change.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Possess a solid working knowledge of other business functions such as Logistics, Finance, Engineering, Planning, EH&S, facilities, in addition to Manufacturing and Quality.
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- 5% travel as needed
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join