When you are part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you will do important work, and you will be valued and recognized for your performance. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you will find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Sr. Automation Engineer provides high quality control engineering services to meet all present and future company automation engineering needs. Acquires, develops and uses superior technology and techniques to achieve high standards of quality and efficiency. Carries out all phases of project activity in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Conducts automation engineering assignments requiring creativity to analyze situations and select appropriate course of action.
- Manages multiple large projects/assignments simultaneously with substantial design outside discipline.
- Analyzes the data and facts concerning automation engineering assignments and develop a scope of work based upon broad engineering principles and established methods in effect in the industry which is consistent with the Company’s standards and specifications.
- Establishes and maintains technical time, and cost objectives for projects using project specifications.
- Oversees the design/drafting of new engineering drawings or update existing drawings. Prepares or ensures the preparation of engineering construction specifications.
- Ensures all Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs), safety practices, applicable codes, engineering standards, laws and insurance requirements are met in the design, construction, start up and qualification of assigned projects.
- Oversees co-op student on a project basis.
- Works in a safe and responsible manner in order to create an injury-free and incident-free workplace.
- Complies with all job-related safety and other training requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related discipline is required.
- Ten years of relevant experience and experience in the development, support of computerized automation systems, and networks is preferred.
- Familiarity with a variety of control system concepts, practices and procedures.
- Develop PLC ladder logic or function block and/or DCS system development.
- Development of configurable control and supervisory systems and historian and database program development. Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Self-starter, mature, independent and dependable.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment under pressure, able to multi-task and is results-oriented.
- Demonstrates ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Requires discretion and independent judgment.
- Very high degree of interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public, including tact to handle sensitive matters.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Prefer knowledge of A-B and Modicon PLCs and/or DCS D/3 experience.
Position requires ordinary ambulatory skills and physical coordination sufficient to move about office locations; ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch periodically for prolonged periods of time; manipulation (lift, carry, move) of light to medium weights of 10-35 pounds; arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp and type for prolonged periods of time; visual acuity to use a keyboard, computer monitor, operate equipment, and read materials for prolonged periods of time; ability to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear for prolonged periods of time.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.