When you are part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you will do important work, and you will be valued and recognized for your performance. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you will find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Provides high quality engineering services to support the short and long term needs of the company. Manages large capital projects through all phases of multiple engineering projects or manufacturing process activities and does so in a timely and cost effective manner. Coordinates the services of both internal and external engineering and technical groups for the division. Services provided require significant project management skills and utilize superior technology and techniques to achieve high standards of quality and efficiency.
- Provides leadership to assigned staff by performing the following: leading organizational change; developing and empowering staff; cultivating relationships; putting staff in a position to succeed, meeting their personal career goals while also achieving organizational goals; building effective teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals; driving engagement and creating a climate where staff are motivated to do their best.
- Manages the company in all aspects of multiple complex engineering projects/assignments, including coordinating with Architectural and Engineering firms in developing design criteria, preparing design documents, preparing bid documents and contracts for construction, reviewing bid proposals and selecting contractors.
- Manages all aspects of project commissioning activities. Duties include managing customer, projects, validation projects, safety inspection and verification, planning staff training, determining operating requirements and writing procedures, equipment Installation and Qualification, Process Qualification planning for and participation in regulatory inspections, computer setup, selection and supervision of technical, professional or operative staff, etc.
- Reviews customer Research Quality Framework (RQF) for technical feasibility and provide high level capital cost estimates for customer bid proposals in a timely manner. Provides technical support for customer projects and technology transfer. Provides technical support to Production on process improvement, deviations and audits items.
- Manages the administrative aspects of the group by ensuring the preparation of performance plans, job descriptions, and conducting employee performance reviews. Includes hiring, rewarding and disciplining staff as required, providing an environment that fosters teamwork and assigning responsibility and accountability at proper levels. Provides guidance to staff in technical and management issues.
- Works under unlimited supervision. Follows established methods, techniques or procedures without modification. Selects from several alternative courses of action to deal with variations in methods, conditions, or processes. Works should not need to be reviewed for soundness of technical judgment and overall adequacy and accuracy. Fails to achieve results can cause large expenditures, production delays or possible personal injury.
- Analyzes project requirements and develop a scope of work based upon broad engineering principles and established methods in the industry, which is consistent with current international and internal standards and specifications.
- Fulfills approved equipment requirements, selection, and modifications to allow for new and improved processes and to meet processing and technology changes. Identifies, selects, and optimizes alternatives to improve quality, yield, cycle time, and cost.
- Facilitates in-house training programs specific to the interfacing of the user with the equipment and to provide understanding the basic principles of processes and technologies.
- Ensures all Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs), safety practices, applicable codes, engineering standards, laws and insurance requirements are met in the design, construction, start up and qualification of assigned projects. Applications of all local and international engineering standards and principles for compliance.
- Works in a safe and responsible manner in order to create an injury-free and incident-free workplace. Complies with all job-related safety and other training requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or production related discipline is required.
- Six years of relevant experience and knowledge of all engineering specialties including mechanical, chemical, electrical and civil is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead professional staff in order to achieve goals, evaluate and resolve complex technical problems.
- Ability to motivate, energize, and retain key staff by direct interactions with supervisors and staff.
- Familiarity with a variety of concepts, practices and procedures.
- Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Self-starter, mature, independent and dependable.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment under pressure, able to multi-task and is results-oriented.
- Demonstrates ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Effective time management and prioritization skills.
- Requires discretion and independent judgment.
- Very high degree of interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public, including tact to handle sensitive matters.
Position requires ordinary ambulatory skills and physical coordination sufficient to move about office locations; ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch periodically for prolonged periods of time; manipulation (lift, carry, move) of light to medium weights of 10-35 pounds; arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp and type for prolonged periods of time; visual acuity to use a keyboard, computer monitor, operate equipment, and read materials for prolonged periods of time; ability to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear for prolonged periods of time.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join