The Application Software Group (ASG)
As part of the R&D organization of Thermo Fisher Scientific's MSD division, ASG is committed to bring value-adding and game changing software solutions to our customers that help them with their success. ASG is a multi-site development organization divided over the R&D sites in Eindhoven (the Netherlands), Bordeaux (France), Hillsboro (US), Brno (Czech). The ASG organization in Eindhoven consists of around 50 software engineers. This team is responsible for the development of automation/application software for Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM). This software offers solutions to our life sciences, material sciences and semiconductors customers, by providing dedicated workflows and solutions.
One of our software solutions is Tomography. The Tomography software guides the user into acquiring a series of high-quality focused images of the same specimen details in different tilt angles in an automatic, simple, fast and reliable manner on nanometer scale. The result is a stack of tilted images that is used to reconstruct a 3D volume.
- corporate organization https://www.fei.com/about-fei/
- Life Sciences business https://www.fei.com/life-sciences/
- Inside the Titan Transmission Electron Microscope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
- Blog ASG designer Eindhoven http://www.brainporttalentbox.com/blogs/3/iwdy98-building-software-related-applications-for-electron-microscopes-
- Blog software architect Eindhoven https://www.brainporttalentbox.com/blogs/3/gl6zc7-achieve-breakthroughs-by-electron-microscopes-
- MDE helps structuring 3 millions of lines of legacy code. https://www.brainporttalentbox.com/blogs/3/eibz8u-mde-helps-structuring-3-million-lines-of-legacy-code-
We have a position for a talented software engineer in the Tomography application software team in Eindhoven (part of ASG). The software engineer will be part of an enthusiastic team dedicated to deliver the best solutions to our customers.
As a software engineer you will be responsible for the full software development cycle of new features, product enhancement and maintenance of our C# based applications.
Your assignment will be a mixture of the following activities:
- Hands-on software development and integration of software components.
- Detailing out user stories into smaller, concrete tasks
- Create designs, aligned with the technical lead, based on a full comprehension of the requirements
- Responsible for improvements within agreed focus-areas (monitored with KPI trends)
- Troubleshooting and debugging of application issues in a simulation environment as well as on the TEM microscope systems available within R&D.
- Focus on quality by contributing to our technical debt management and by using and extending our existing test framework and automated nightly tests.
The ideal candidate for this position enjoys working in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural, technical environment to solve complex technical (software) challenges. If you enjoy the development of software solutions on top of high-performance systems, this is an excellent opportunity. The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- Typically requires, BSc degree in Computer Science, Informatics, or related technical discipline.
- Up-to-date knowledge and proven hands-on experience of C#/.NET (including concepts, best practices, WPF experience)
- At least 1 years’ experience in object oriented development of in a complex environment
- Eager to learn TEM domain specific knowledge and not afraid to test your software on a TEM systems yourself
- Focus on quality, but also able to be a pragmatic issue solver where needed
- Experience in multi-cultural environments
Further preference given for hands on experience with one or more of the following areas:
- Experience with C++, (ATL) COM, and C# interoperability
- TDD and writing high quality software using unit tests
- Agile/Scrum development process
- A team player with good communicational skills (both written and verbal) and highly proficient in spoken and written English
- Analytical view combined with pragmatic attitude (flexibility)
- Value oriented, getting to the essence, setting and acting according to priorities
- Result oriented
- Proactive and initiative-taking attitude
- Curious, fast learning (mostly on the job)