Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and approximately 65,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
All of our employees share a common set of values - Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement. Our ability to grow year after year is driven by our ability to attract, develop and retain world-class people who will thrive in our environment and share in our desire to improve mankind by enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
If you share in our values and if you're looking for an employer who is strongly committed to developing talent and rewarding achievement, come grow with us at Thermo Fisher Scientific.
We are searching for a Software Engineering Manager who is well versed and comfortable spanning the full development lifecycle, from requirements identification and prototyping, through design and implementation, to customer acceptance and delivery. You have experience and passion to create market leading scientific software solutions. You are the type of person that welcomes the challenge of working in a fast-paced, discovery-oriented environment and will be genuinely excited about the prospect of creatively exercising your problem-solving skills on a continuous basis with an eye to ultimately improving the human condition.
- Responsible for the definition, coordination and completion of software development projects within the R&D software services department using agile software development methodologies.
- Responsible for staff management: recruiting, hiring, on-boarding, training, project assignment, and performance management of the software teams
- Builds and maintains working relationships with product management, executives, and software team members to define the scope, timeline, and resources required for projects.
- Participates in cross-functional project core teams and relays status to team members and upper management regarding the status of software projects.
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected along with a reliance on extensive experiences in life sciences and software development.
- Ensure the software teams are properly following process protocols and remove any barriers to their success.
- Represent the team in cross-organizational forums as well as customer requirements gathering and software validation and training sessions.
- Understand metrics and providing support to the teams to always improve processes, technology or tools
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years of prior experience as a software developer. Multi-tier, scalable, highly available and browser based java web applications preferred.
- 3+ years of recent experience in a software development management role of a team of at least 10 people.
- 2+ years of experience using Agile Scrum development processes.
- Significant exposure to building cloud based applications, AWS strongly preferred.
- Is a self-starter and comfortable determining direction in a highly dynamic environment dealing with unknowns at the project formation stage.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – to customers and partners, high-level executives, and highly technical project team members.
- An ability to be productive and prioritize in an environment with multiple competing priorities.
- Experience in the life sciences domain highly preferred.
- Previous Product Owner or Scrum Master experience
- Understanding of object oriented design, design patters, continuous integration/continuous delivery, Linux, coding best practices (TDD, DDD).