About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
The Research and Development group of the Life Sciences and Mass Spectrometry business unit is offering a unique opportunity for a highly talented individual looking to play a key role in the design and development of technology critical to supporting Thermo Fisher’s position as the leader in Mass Spectrometry. This Research Scientist will be expected to provide the theoretical and computational backend that supports the development of our next generation Mass Spectrometers. Advanced data processing, computer simulation of ion dynamics, artificial intelligence, should be part of the comprehensive and cutting-edge tool kit of this inventive scientist. Intensive collaboration with other scientists of different backgrounds, such as analytical chemistry, mechanical engineering, and computer science, is essential.
- Leveraging expertise in data processing to provide state-of-the-art methodology, algorithms and code for the optimal analysis of data generated by our next-gen Mass Spectrometers.
- Synergizing existing spectrometer designs with simulation and artificial intelligence to empower leaps in Mass Spectrometer technology.
- Utilizing existing simulation tools including SIMION, COMSOL and our in-house simulation software packages to perform advanced simulations for various aspects of mass spectrometry instrumentation including ion transport through various pressure regimes, transmission properties of ion optic devices, and performance aspects of different mass analyzers.
- Collaborating closely with scientists and team members to a) understand core issues and challenges for analyzing data generated from Mass Spectrometers of different designs and b) coordinate and execute simulations needed for various projects including optimization of component and vacuum design.
- Developing and enhancing our in-house simulation software and integrating it with commercially available tools to customize our simulation capabilities especially for solving viscous flow, transitional flow and molecular flow problems.
- Producing appropriate documentation for novel mathematical data processing approaches and simulation results.
- Submitting and presenting project updates and reports.
- Reading and understanding patents related to mass spectrometry and contributing towards innovation in mass spectrometry by writing disclosures and patent applications.
- Possible contributions to scientific literature as well as attendance and presentations at conferences.
- Requires a Ph.D. in physics, mathematics, chemistry, engineering, computer science, aerodynamics, or related field.
- Very strong physics skills, including dynamical systems, electrodynamics, fluid dynamics and plasma physics.
- Very strong math skills, including digital signal processing, ordinary and partial differential equations, and computational fluid dynamics.
- Strong computer science skills, including artificial intelligence/machine learning and object oriented programming designs.
- Candidates must be competent in solving novel data/signal processing problems with a focus on multi-scale analysis and efficient/parallel implementation.
- Candidates must be competent in solving multi-physics problem with a focus on AC/DC fields, charged particle analysis, computational fluid dynamics, and heat transfer in fluids.
- Candidates must have an in-depth level understanding of finite element and finite volume problems.
- Working knowledge of commercial simulation packages such as SIMION, COMSOL multi-physics, and ANSYS.
- Software development programming abilities and experience in C, C++, C#, Lua and Python
- High level of technology fluency to understand and properly communicate the technology associated with assigned products.
- Knowledge of using data processing tools and handling of large sized data sets.
- Practical knowledge of Mass Spectrometry including principles of mass analyzer operation, ion optics design, ion sources design, high vacuum systems design.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks with different priorities.
- Ability to make independent decisions and possess strong initiative.
- Ability to dissect problems with strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to accurately plan, define, and manage project tasks.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills with the ability to convey complex technical concepts to non-technical professionals
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, listening to and respecting the views of others
- Excellent analytical and creative problem-solving skills with a proactive approach, together with an interest in identifying, investigating and solving technical problems.
- Capable of working with multi-disciplinary teams
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.
- Substantial experience in developing signal processing packages, including de-noising, de-trending, signal enhancement and interpretation, and data compression, using tools such as digital filters, convex optimization and multi-scale wavelet analysis.
- Substantial experience and expertise in commercial simulation software packages such as SIMION, CPO, COMSOL multi-physics, ANSYS CFX and OpenFOAM.
- Substantial experience in artificial intelligence and machine learning, including artificial neural networks, deep learning, decision trees etc.
- A deep mathematical understanding of equations used in fluid flow models, heat transfer in fluid models, and motion of charged particles in fluid or electric fields, and convex optimization.
- Knowledge of parallel computing or use of cloud computing to perform multiple parameter optimizations.
- Experience with Nvidia CUDA and programming with Intel AVX instructions
- Experience in using CAD tools such as Solidworks, ProEngineering, or Spaceclaim will be an advantage.
- In depth knowledge of mass spectrometry theory and associated components such as electromagnetic fields, ionization sources, mass analyzers, RF systems, electrometers, and charged particle detectors.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join