When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
As a Senior Software Scientist you will be joining the market leader in Mass Spectrometry and will work on one of the most vibrant and rapidly evolving fields in computational biology that seeks to integrate data streams and biological knowledge from several areas of omics research.
The candidate will work closely and consult with other team members both within and outside the Department, and identify and evaluate new technologies and solutions, both internal and external, that can meet our technical challenges.
He or she is expected to have a thorough understanding of the latest technology innovations in Mass Spectrometry and customer use cases. The candidate should have a strong background and relevant industry experience in Life Sciences and omics research.
As a Scientist/developer you will develop Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (LCMS) algorithms using big data distributed computing frameworks such as Spark, Hadoop and AWS Lambda. The ideal candidate will have extensive LCMS algorithm development experience as well as experience in Spark and HDFS file formats. The Scientist/Engineer will develop algorithm logic, create testing frameworks for validation and apply software engineering principles to create code libraries for our big data processing pipeline.
The candidate will drive projects to completion while ensuring acceptance by stakeholders.
In this role, the candidate will be developing ideas and technologies for our next generation products. You will communicate and present results to all levels of the organization including peers, senior management and internal customers as needed.
You will consult with internal and external stakeholders to characterize and improve the performance of scientific workflow instances, as assigned.
The candidate will prepare/author technical reports, documentation, and research papers in scientific journals.
The candidate will present results at technical conferences and participate in development of intellectual property.
- Develop algorithms solving the most challenging customer problems targeted for next generation applications.
- Harnessing knowledge of customer use cases and bioinformatics skills, develop innovative ideas and technologies to significantly improve Thermo Fisher Scientific’s software products.
- Developing and executing a vision for scaling our algorithms to improve performance.
- Responsible for designing, developing, optimizing, and validating robust algorithms for the analysis of mass spectrometry data and the development of prototypes for demonstrating the application of these algorithms.
- Lead research and development initiatives.
- Act as a mentor with senior level skills to the software development team providing direction to the product and verifying product meets customer needs.
- Mentor other developers on technology, technical approach, project execution, and domain skills.
- Provide scientific expertise particularly in the areas of omics, chemistry and mass spectrometry as needed by the project.
- Understands established mathematical principles and algorithms associated with processing spectroscopic data.
- Strong bioinformatics background and experience developing algorithms for signal processing, statistics , machine learning , data analysis and pattern recognition.
- Experience and strong understanding of omics – Proteomics, Metabolomics.
- 8+ years of experience in bioinformatics/algorithm development.
- 8+ years of experience in Matlab, R , Python or a scripting language (Perl , etc)
- Experience in C++, Java or C# is a plus.
- 8+ years of experience in an applicable omics domain.
- Functional programming experience is a plus
- Experience in MapReduce programming with Spark and Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS) and with processing large data stores is a plus
- Experience with cloud hosted applications (i.e. AWS, Azure) is a plus
- The candidate should have a track record of achievement and delivering on significant responsibilities in a timely fashion.
- Comfortable with and effective at expressing and exchanging ideas, concepts and designs in a group setting.
- Comfortable working within an international team.
- Flexible during times of change.
- Comfortable with working in a dynamic, flexible environment.
- Takes ownership of tasks and drives them to completion.
- Is able to work with minimal direction and find solutions.
- Track record of effectively leading efforts.
- Experience developing commercial software products.
- Experience working within a distributed, international team
- Experience with Data Mining and Neural Networks.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- A college degree, preferably related to chemistry, physics, mathematics or software development.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Join our Talent Community
If you're ready to make a difference in the world, you can do it here.Join