Thermo Fisher Scientific is seeking a Senior Patent Agent to be based in its Carlsbad or San Francisco Bay Area offices. This position will support the Genetic Sciences Division (GSD), which includes instruments and software for PCR, capillary electrophoresis, and microarray, among others. Under the direction of the GSD IP Counsel, the Senior Patent Agent will engage with R&D and product management to sense and capture new innovation, draft and prosecute patent applications, conduct patent analyses including freedom to operate and infringement, and manage their patent portfolio in a business-conscious manner. Our Patent Agents are expected to develop a solid understanding of the businesses and technologies they support and to provide guidance on diverse and interesting IP issues.
- Drafting and prosecuting patent applications;
- Performing complex IP analyses including product clearances, IP landscapes, and prior art searches;
- Analyzing patents and their claims; and,
- Communicating effectively about technical and patent matters.
- B.S. or advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or related fields;
- Registration to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office;
- Six or more years of experience preparing and prosecuting U.S. and international patent applications (writing samples will be requested);
- Track record of success as a patent agent (preferably also including industry experience); and,
- Experience with analytical instrument and software technologies (e.g., optoelectronics, control systems, computer algorithms, data science, and cloud applications), preferably for biological or medical instruments and software.