When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
The Laboratory Analytical Reagents (LAR) product portfolio consists of solvents, dry chemicals and biochemicals used to analyze and purify a compound or material, and includes the Fisher Chemical, Fisher BioReagents and Affymetrix USB product lines and the Thermo Scientific brand.
How will you make an impact? The Laboratory Analytical Reagents (LAR) business unit of the Laboratory Chemicals Division (LCD) in Thermo Fisher Scientific is seeking to hire a senior level chemist to join the R&D department. This Scientist will support process development for internal and external customers and new product development. Design, implement, and execute experiments associated with a research plan to improve/optimize reaction conditions, raw material costs, and efficiency of product yield.
What will you do?
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of organic solvent distillation processes and all related variables that affect the distillation process from bench work to pilot scale
- Transfer the developed process technology to qualification and production through implementation of operational design control procedures
- Utilize advanced chromatography and mass spectrometry systems to drive the development of next-generation ultrapure solvents
- Take charge in originating, applying, and documenting new analytical methods and techniques to solve problems in research and development and to support existing chemical manufacturing processes and products
- Deliver technical presentations and written reports/publications (in-house and peer-reviewed) of new products/applications
- Participate in problem solving and troubleshooting in support of departmental or plant operations
- Manage multiple R&D projects involving cross functional teams (operations, marketing, and sales) within a stage-gated process
- Monitor research trends to ensure leading edge development of relevant chemical products via literature searches and customer visits
- Train and coach personnel and act as a technical consultant as required
- Achieve a leadership role in the field of separation science both within Thermo Fisher Scientific and the external scientific community
Support safety and quality systems:
- Ensure quality throughout project execution, analysis, data mining, record keeping, communications, and any other general work practices
- Resolve any unsafe work conditions and perform quality audits as needed
- Ensure training of all instrumentation and operations equipment is complete and acknowledged in the system
- Apply company’s 5S practices
Promote the Company’s PPI Business Systems (continuous improvement):
- Participate in Practical Process Improvement training programs
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and participate in PPI initiatives
- Create and sustain a goal-oriented culture of innovation while addressing process improvements
How will you get here?
- PhD in Chemistry or MS in Chemistry with 7 years relevant work experience (industrial chemical processing) or BS in Chemistry with 10 years relevant work experience
- Extensive experience in solvent distillation and solvent analysis utilizing advanced chromatography and mass spectrometry systems (HPLC-MS, UHPLC-MS, GC-MS). Specific experience using HPLC or UHPLC hyphenated to high resolution accurate mass spectrometer (Thermo Scientific, Agilent, or Waters instrumentation platforms preferred) and proficient interpretation of mass spectra
- Understanding of chemical synthesis, purification techniques (chromatography), and safe chemical handling
- Basic chemical analytical procedures such as GC, HPLC, IC, ICP-MS, UV-VIS spectrophotometry, FTIR, NMR, AA, Karl Fischer, gravimetric methods, titrimetric methods, and colorimetry methods
- Application of experimental design (DOE) and statistical quality control
- At least two publications (first author preferred) in peer-reviewed scientific journals
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Ability to handle timelines and multi-task
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated dependability, team player, and positive attitude
- Excellent problem solving capabilities, strong interpretative data analysis, and high degree of computer literacy
- Demonstrated interpersonal and networking skills by mentoring individuals, team participation, group teaching, seminar/poster presentations, and customer communication
- Project management skills preferred
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.