Sr. Director of Enterprise Data Solutions and Business Intelligence
Carlsbad, CA or Pittsburg, PA
The Information Technology team at Thermo Fisher is a global function with direct, deep connectivity to all parts of the business. We support thousands of systems and hundreds of applications world-wide, and seek constantly to drive greater integration across platforms, leveraging a core suite of applications around the globe to drive business growth and enable process optimization.
We understand the importance of a system that works together. Your expertise, drive and passion can help us improve everything we touch. Join our team of leaders to begin a rewarding career.
The Sr. Director of Enterprise Data Solutions and Business Intelligence is responsible for the full systems life cycle management of “Data “that support Thermo Fisher's core business processes and the associated data & analytics business. Reporting directly to the head of IT Operations this role will focus on collaborating with senior leadership from other shared services and IT groups to develop, implement and optimize Data Solutions and business intelligence.
This role will actively participate in long term “Digital Science” strategy planning and ensures data related policies, procedures, and processes are in place to address complex business needs. This role is one of the few in Information Technologies that will provide great opportunity to do both strategic works on Digital Science as well Enterprise Operations. Ensures long term solution delivery methodologies are followed that drives quality, reliability, stability and completeness of all data related programs within financial objectives and meeting the business needs.
The Sr. Director of Enterprise Data Solutions and Business Intelligence must have in-depth technical skills on Business Intelligence and Analytics applications along with understanding of corporate functions and business process to effectively fulfill the responsibilities of this job. He or she is responsible for adhering to Corporate IT standards and processes and promoting the knowledge across the team in order to precisely develop and support these data solutions to align with executive leadership goals and objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand business requirements for data and information to support business strategy and objectives
- Lead design sessions in prototyping new data solutions and BI dashboards
- Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing data source systems and develop strategies for improving or further leveraging these systems
- Collaborate in the planning, development, and deployment of new data solutions, and enhancements to existing data solutions and dashboards
- Perform cost-benefit and return on investment analyses for proposed systems to aid management in making implementation decisions
- Conduct strategic planning activities for the information data system landscape, and communicate the outcomes in terms of future-state architectures, strategies and roadmaps for big data and related applications. This will provide direction for the IT function, for business stakeholders and will lead to simplification of the data architecture
- Ensure that future-state big data and analytics architectures and roadmaps are complete, consistent and feasible.
- Ensure IT programs and projects are aligned with the data architecture and adhere to appropriate standards, to ensure all aspects of the data work together effectively and that project and operational costs are minimized.
- Provide expert IT consultancy and advice to groups and the business units to enable the correct choice and appropriate data design of IT solutions.
- Lead the architecture function and the development of an effective team. This includes setting strategic direction and responsibility for people, budget, and outcomes.
- Promote architecture disciplines through the development of effective standards and governance processes. This will have the aim of maximizing the re-use of application systems and shared services, and reducing time and risks in project delivery
- Influences business leaders and business process owners to maintain consistency with architecture roadmap for their area and overall IT architecture.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Highly technically competent with the ability to assimilate new technologies and identify where they can be applied to strategies, processes and organization to support Business objectives.
- Robust in enforcing data architecture disciplines and standards and persuasive in pushing forward new and innovative technologies and methods.
- Ability to articulate complex data solutions concisely and with clarity at senior management level.
- Ability to identify, prioritize and weigh different data options and recommend a constructive solution.
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to map business vision to strategy.
- Experience of developing target data architectures and roadmaps which have been shown to set and influence IT and business direction
- Experience of identifying and selecting IT solutions to business problems including Commercial of the Shelf (COTS), SaaS and ERP applications
- Experience in producing documentation and presentations for both senior business and technical audiences
- Experience of managing complex or large IT projects either directly or indirectly through close involvement in the overall project leadership
- Supplier management experience including software vendors, cloud vendors and outsourced service providers
- Familiarity with ETL tools and repositories, and their usage for strategic data modelling and data impact analysis
- Experience in Computer system validation as practiced in the pharmaceutical industry
- Knowledge of IT Infrastructure library (ITIL) principles and practices.
Experience with ERP, PLM, CRM business process/systems and cloud-based applications, data, security and integration architectures including data warehouse and business intelligence solutions, preferred.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent with 18+ years of experience
Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent with 15+ years of experience
More than 5+ years’ experience in an IT leadership role managing teams with strong understanding of technical, business and operational process requirements – i.e., quote to cash process (required)
Life Sciences or Pharmaceutical experience, preferred.