Director, Software Engineering
At Thermo Fisher, our mission is to be the world leader in serving science and to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. The Digital Engineering team is tasked with applying industry best practices to the design, development, and deployment of world-class software products built to leverage the power and scalability of the cloud, IoT, and mobile/distributed platforms.
We are looking for a senior leader that has experience with cloud and mobile based software development and deployment in regulated settings to help make sure we are meeting the needs of customers in clinical, biopharma and other highly regulated industries. The ideal candidate will have the background to confidently help us identify the right requirements for these customers and drive programs that deliver the right capabilities to them via our Cloud and mobile platforms.
You will be expected to leverage your knowledge of clinical and/or pharma workflows to connect all the dots between life sciences, cloud/web development, regulatory compliance, health, big data, informatics, and many other facets as we create something truly unique and life impacting. You will be responsible for coordinating across functional groups and organizational boundaries to get the right things done at the right time. Your focus will be on the regulated software aspects of our solutions including, but not limited to, initiating projects that will be under design control process.
You are comfortable in a multi-tasking environment frequently interspersed with travel and meetings with a wide variety of groups, yet you also manage to find the time to dive in deep on requirements definition and solution architecture. Most of all, you are excited about our solutions and the dramatic influence they have on all of us.
- Collaborate with product managers, business development, field/commercial, and engineering stakeholders to establish overall engineering/development strategy for the Thermo Fisher Cloud platform in clinical / regulated industries.
- Work with divisional stakeholders to distill strategy in to tangible requirements and product roadmaps and backlogs for Thermo Fisher’s cloud, mobile and related software/hardware platforms and applications.
- Understand industry trends, requirements, and approaches to help ensure strategy and roadmaps are meet marketing and sales objectives in the marketplace.
- Identify and define required system interfaces and map dependencies.
- Educate R&D teams about proper processes and approaches to take when developing solutions.
- Participate in development and implementation projects in the role of program manager, project manager, or product owner as necessary.
- Develop a network of experts throughout the organization, industry and suppliers. Bring company and industry knowledge as well as creative technical skills to product creation; be a content, sub-discipline specialist across the company.
- Experience implementing life science oriented informatics software in a clinical, pharma, or equivalently regulated setting.
- Background in Life Sciences Informatics, Information Technology and/or Software Development, including knowledge and understanding of modern cloud, service-oriented, and IoT architectures that serve scientific domains. Specific knowledge of Amazon Web Services and/or mobile applications development is a plus.
- Experience with requirements elicitation, documentation, and design specifications for software.
- Experience with an Agile development methodologies is required. Specific knowledge of Scrum, Scaled Agile Framework, DDD and TDD is highly desired.
- Systems experience (software/hardware/reagents) in biotech, medical device or life sciences industry a strong plus. Experience with architectures that satisfy regulated standards such as ISO 14385 or CFR Part 11 is required.
- Experience working with geographically distributed teams is a strong plus.
- The candidate must be self-starter, detail oriented, and highly motivated individual.
- Ability to convey very complex information in both written and oral form to both non-technical and deeply technical audiences
- A BS (MS or PhD preferred) in the Life Sciences or Computer Science/IT together with 9+ years software development or technical product management experience.