About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $17 billion and 50,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Our four premier brands – Life Technologies, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
Responsible for the operational purchasing of raw materials and supplies to support company operations on the categories you are assigned. Success in this role will require that materials are purchased at the lowest total cost of ownership, meet specified quality and are always available while keeping optimal inventory levels.
- Issue Purchase Orders as needed to support production needs while optimizing inventory levels. Materials must be sourced from approved vendors that are capable of supplying products that meet our specifications and our quantity and delivery schedule requirements.
- Forecast raw material requirements to suppliers to ensure availability based on historical data and SAP demand. Identify and manage actual and/or potential raw material availability problems.
- Follow up on Purchase Orders and expedite materials as required ensuring on time delivery.
- Manage inventory balances of all required materials, equipment and supplies in support of inventory goals, DOS and production requirements.
- Manage any raw material changes effectively to provide constant material availability and manage disposition of any excess or obsolete materials.
- Work with key suppliers to implement appropriate purchasing method (JIT, VOMI, consignment, demand-pull, Kanban) based on raw material, supplier, and demand to optimize material velocity and availability.
- Communicate with receiving and accounting in order to resolve any discrepancies associated with pricing, quantity or receiving.
- Work in conjunction with the Logistics Manager to establish the best incoming transportation routing for each raw material purchased. Consider transit time and relative costs to select carriers.
- Provide feedback to supervisor on supplier performance, delivery, pricing, etc. for periodic Supplier Business Review and future negotiating opportunities.
- Communicate to appropriate departments any raw material shortages, BO’s, quality issues, and escalate where appropriate.
- Responsible for all ERP supplier and raw material data maintenance.
- Practice safe work habits.
- Comply with all FDA / ISO9002 regulations as communicated by Quality Systems.
- Report any actual or potential safety hazards to the Supervisor, Human Resources, Safety Specialist or Senior Management.
- BA/BS degree with 3-4 years of experience or Associate Degree with 5-6 years of experience.
- Chemical buying experience a plus.
- Proficient in MRP / MRPII software, preferably SAP.
- Proficient in MS Office including Power Point, Word and Excel.
- Possess good analytical skills and math skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Familiar with Lean Manufacturing process, Practical Process Improvement and Kanban.