About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
Position will be responsible for coordinating monthly close for all inventory and factory spending for the Portsmouth business (~ $80m business). Responsibilities to include preparation of standard costing, analyzing variance, budgeting of standard costs and factory spending. This role is will have expanded visibility to the operations of the business in order to analyze the cost and productivity of the business. The position will be involved in Practical Process Improvement (PPI) initiatives to analyze and identify cost savings and efficiencies through PPI projects. Strong system skills will be necessary in order to provide analysis and record entries on a recurring basis.
- Prepare and maintain accurate costing of inventory and cost of sales with emphasis on cost control
- Organize cost accounting functions prior to physical inventory (or cycle counts) and produces all applicable reports.
- Oversee the calculation of standard costs of products/services for specific jobs/projects.
- Analyze open/closed work order variances and follow up as required.
- Establish and perform standard cost updates annually.
- Perform month end responsibilities to accurately state inventory, cost of sales and related account activity including estimation accounts (e.g. E&O reserves)
- Support Operations team by providing monthly results of Key Business Metrics.
- Support Commercial Team by developing manufacture cost estimates and by providing product line margin analysis.
- Support company controller in directing budget and cost controls, financial analysis, and accounting procedures.
- Contribute to the annual budget process and quarterly forecast process through preparation of necessary analysis & reporting
- Provide instruction and answer questions relating to budget procedures and serve as liaison between supervisors and administration. Identify budget issues, provide alternative solutions and resolve problems as needed.
- Participate in special projects and process improvement initiatives (PPI), including measuring/monitoring cost savings related to PPI and other productivity initiatives.
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- CMA or CPA desirable
- 4+ years progressive accounting experience, including cost accounting
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel
- JD Edwards (or other ERP) experience a plus
- Working knowledge of Hyperion (HFM) Software a plus.
- Minimal travel < 5%
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
BS in Accounting/Finance or equivalent.