Job Title: Scientist II, Formulation
Requisition ID: 62808BR
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities:
The Animal Health Reagents manufacturing team at Thermo Fisher Scientific (Austin) is responsible for the production and testing of various reagents for qPCR and sample preparation applications including master mixes, nucleic acid purification, and internal positive controls for use in various workflows such as veterinary diagnostics, USDA-certified, and custom products. Our team is dynamic and fast paced, relying on teamwork, multitasking and communication within the team and the larger organization. We are seeking an energetic individual with strong communication, technical, and operational skills to join our team.
- Utilize multiple analytical chemistry techniques, including MALDI mass spectroscopy, HPLC, HPIC, spectrophotometry, pH and conductivity meters, and titrations.
- Perform complex sample preparation procedures such as large-scale buffer preparation and solid-phase extraction.
- Troubleshoot manufacturing and quality control activities and record results in technical reports.
- Revise and edit existing manufacturing protocols; participate in the development of manufacturing protocols for new products.
- Actively participate in Practical Process Improvement (PPI) projects, including kaizen.
- Manage manufacturing metrics aimed at process control and productivity savings.
- Prioritize and schedule work to ensure on-time delivery.
- Accurately and reliably manage inventory.
- Work synergistically with peers from your own and other groups.
- Train co-workers in the proper use of instrumentation, manufacturing processes, and manufacturing software.
- Adhere to ISO guidelines, USDA regulations, and Thermo Fisher Scientific quality policy.
- Adopt a positive attitude which contributes to a healthy work environment.
- Ability to lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds with or without accommodation.
- Ability to work with chemicals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (B.S.) in Biochemistry or related field.
- 4-7 years of related post-undergraduate experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in operating, troubleshooting, and maintaining complex laboratory equipment, including HPLC, HPIC, and MALDI mass spec.
- Minimum five years’ experience in sample preparation procedures such as large-scale buffer preparation and solid-phase extraction.
- Thorough understanding of chemical interaction necessary for PCR systems, including interactions of nucleotides, enzymes, oligos, and buffers (pH, ionic concentration).
- Broad-based knowledge and experience in experimental design and statistical quality control.
- Project management skills preferred.
This position is not approved for relocation assistance
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.