Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
The Microbiology Division (MBD) sits within Thermo Fisher Scientific’s Speciality Diagnostic Group. Our customers worldwide trust our microbiology solutions for the diagnosis of infectious disease and detection of bacterial contamination.
Job Title: Manufacturing Scientist
Reports To: Manufacturing Scientist Manager
Position Summary: Manufacturing Scientist position reporting to the Manufacturing Sciences Manager. Works in a team with up to 11 other members on the laboratory investigation of Quality Notifications and CAPAs in the support of existing culture media products. No budget responsibility or line management responsibilities.
The jobholder is jointly responsible for the support of the culture media and associated products range and the respective manufacturing processes. This includes dehydrated culture media (DCM), freeze dried supplements (FDS) and liquid fill products manufactured in Basingstoke, and prepared media manufactured in Perth and Wesel.
- Laboratory investigation of QNs/CAPAs
- Execution of small projects in accordance with agreed schedules.
- Fulfilling the responsibilities of the position as defined in the Oxoid Health, Safety and Environmental policies and associated Codes of Practice
Other relevant jobholder descriptors:
- Plans their own work within the boundaries of a project, with the assistance of the Lead Scientist and Manufacturing Sciences Manager.
- Able to work alone, without precedent
- Actively involved in the decision process for the methods used in a project
- Strives for continuous improvement in their work processes
- Demonstrates the Thermo Fisher values (4 I’s), Integrity, Intensity, Innovation, Involvement
- Work on several projects simultaneously and balance changing needs
- Expected to recommend appropriate actions relating to project issues
- Problem solving, fixing routine methods, interpreting unexpected results, expected to highlight solutions to problems. Some expectation for problem solving outside their own team
- Influence customers (internal and external) with data to prove valid theories
- Establishes contacts within function and wider company
- Communication is a combination of one to one within team and presentation to groups as required
- Expected to give regular updates to assigned tasks at daily accountability meetings
- Maintains formal laboratory records and formal internal reports
- Interacts with other departments at their own level and above
- Assists in the training of new staff within their team
- Expected to research ideas and discuss within their function
- Sound knowledge of subject to interpret data and draw valid conclusions
- Role is mostly practical
- Expected to perform both bench work and project management tasks
Minimum Requirements/Qualifications: The jobholder should hold a degree or equivalent in a microbiological (or related) subject. Some experience in a microbiology laboratory and as an end user of Oxoid products would be of benefit, but is not essential. The jobholder will be expected to handle class 2 (and 3, depending on vaccination status) microorganisms and hazardous chemicals in a safe manner, according to the department and company safety rules. The jobholder should demonstrate good organisational and communication skills, as well as the ability to work alone with minimal guidance