Chemistry Intern – R&D
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. And you’ll have the opportunity for continual growth and learning in a culture that empowers your development. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of $20 billion, we have approximately 65,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications.
Summary of Internship
The Chemistry R&D Internship position provides an opportunity for chemistry students who are currently pursuing a degree in chemistry with a passion for sustainability to get hands on literature based research experience working with chemistry and product stewardship leaders. The intern will contribute to development projects and advance greener alternatives for our products. The position starts in June, paid working 40 hours per week through August or September.
We are seeking a graduate organic chemistry major to work as part of our R&D Chemistry Team and our EHS Product Stewardship Team. The intern will work in one or more of the following areas:
- Work with our Product Stewardship team to understand the European REACH regulations pertaining to Substances of Very High Concern (SVHC) and the impact to our products
- Work with our R&D Chemistry Team to understand how the SVHCs react chemically in our products
- Consult available literature to determine chemically feasible, unregulated substitutes for the SVHCs
- Develop a matrix of potential substitutes and prioritize substances based on assessment of literature and product functionality
- Document findings, present and discuss findings.
- Perform independent work on an assigned project, culminating in a presentation to R&D and EHS department staff.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a cross-functional team
- Ability to conduct research independently
- Strong willingness to learn, be mentored, and improve
- Passion for green chemistry
- Competed first year graduate level organic chemistry
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today!
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.