Thermo Fisher Scientific (NYSE: TMO) is headquartered in Waltham, MA, and is the world leader in serving science, enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With annual sales of more than $20 billion, we employ 60,000 people and serve over 350,000 customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as environmental and industrial process control settings. Serving customers through two premier brands, Thermo Scientific and Fisher Scientific, we help solve analytical challenges from routine testing to complex research and discovery. Thermo Scientific offers customers a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software, services, consumables and reagents to enable integrated laboratory workflow solutions. Fisher Scientific provides a complete portfolio of laboratory equipment, chemicals, supplies and services used in healthcare, scientific research, safety and education. Together, we offer the most convenient purchasing options to customers and continuously advance our technologies to accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, enhance value for customers and fuel growth for shareholders and employees alike. Visit http://www.thermofisher.com.
Job Title: Technical Solution Manager (TSM)
Reports To: Senior Manager Technical Sales
Group/Division: Digital Science
Career Band: VII
No. of Direct Reports: 0
Day/Shift: Standard Day
FLSA Status: Exempt
Manages the technical sales relationship with accounts and partners in the EMEA region focusing on growing current revenue streams and/or developing new revenue streams. The technical responsibility includes qualification, demonstration preparation, and delivery of demonstrations of Digital Science software portfolio for LIMS, ELN, SDMS, and workflow applications. This position carries a sales quota for the EMEA region.
- Effectively demonstrate Thermo Fisher software product & services portfolio and unique value in response to customer needs.
- Prepare and deliver compelling, focused technical demonstrations
- Prepare and deliver focused Proofs of Concept (PoC)
- Support Sales Team with technical qualification assistance
- Prepares product for demonstration in accordance with needs of prospective customers.
- Understands the generic strengths and vulnerabilities of major competitors and develops sales strategies to respond effectively with account managers.
- Ensures that the sales approach is consistent with overall technical capability.
- Works with the Service Management team to ensure an effective, efficient and seamless transition to service operations upon completion of the sales process
- Builds technical relationships at multiple levels of account and across all constituents.
- Ensures that management understands technical requirements for markets and communicates to gap analysis and success criteria to development and product management.
- Provides technical feedback and scientific data on new ideas or GAP analysis to Product and Application Managers
- Responds effectively and promptly to customer requests.
- Ensures that Management is involved at critical times and during pivotal opportunities. Delegates to other departments as appropriate.
- Provides technical input to deal team calls.
- Understands business goals and evaluates and prioritizes opportunities accordingly along with account managers and Director of Sales.
- Qualifies potential opportunities early in the sales cycle along with account manager.
- Allocates part of every sales call to understanding or clarify the customers’ business challenges.
- Establishes initial technical credibility with accounts.
- Provides realistic estimation of demonstration preparation time.
- Provide technical support for RFx responses in support of the team
- Participates in regional meetings to share best practice, and assist with technical training.
- Assist Product and Application Managers in education of the technical and sales teams.
- Collaborate in development and maintenance of demonstration systems by market. Shares interesting/innovative technical developments with peers.
- Has sufficient technical and business knowledge to present a compelling value proposition to prospects and customers.
- Uses knowledge of the competition in the sales campaign to develop technical/functionally competitive strategies.
- Collaborates with other groups within Thermo Scientific Informatics to implement appropriate strategies to address opportunities and overcome obstacles.
- Communicates with Product Management and Development to provide field (customer) input on product features and feature prioritization requirements during product operational review meetings
- Communicates regularly with the account team to ensure that they are informed on significant product developments and customer issues.
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria: (List 3-5 key attributes, skills, or requirements that the candidate must have to be considered for this position)
Scientific university degree or 5 years relevant experience.
Experience and knowledge of services business solutions/enterprise scientific software demonstrations
Familiarity with commercial operations in complex sales cycles
Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
Fluent in English & Spanish (French or Portuguese is a plus)
Ability to develop high levels of credibility and positive professional relationships with customers, peers, and upper management.
Ability to perform in the following areas:
Enterprise Scientific Software
Managing Technical Expectations
Leveraging Internal Resources
Supports Account Teaming