Pushing the boundaries of discovery
With more than 60 years of innovation and leadership, our company enables customers to find meaningful answers to questions that accelerate breakthrough discoveries, increase productivity, and ultimately change the world. We design, manufacture, and support the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales.
Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets, the worldwide team of more than 3000 people is dedicated to customers pursuit of discovery and resolution to global challenges.
Thermo Fisher Scientific acquired FEI Company in September of 2016 as a part of the Analytical Instruments Group (AIG) in the newly-formed Materials and Structural Analysis Division (MSD).
Check out these videos!
Inside the Titan Transmission Electron Microscope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
How to make a microscope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6J_f4yVVg
The installation of a Talos at the University of Chicago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rTgRq7iD0
The world needs answers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSxT6Y099I
An important element of the R&D organization is the Deliver Beam and Optics group. This group owns the development of modules and technologies in the heart of the high-end Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM). Starting with the controlled emission of free electrons, forming a beam, accelerating to high energy levels to create penetrating power, scanning and focusing for targeted signal control, optical aberration correction and spectral selection for ultimate resolution; all what is needed to reveal the ultimate information from our customers’ samples by Transmission Electron microscopy. This multi-disciplinary group has its own engineering resources for physics, mechanics, electronics, software, specific system engineering, and a number of technical leads and project managers. Interaction with other groups within R&D and other functions like Operations are extremely important to deliver final results as in newly developed technologies in products delivered to our customers.
As Project Manager you will be part of this enthusiastic multi-disciplinary team and you will be responsible for managing the activities of cross-functional engineering disciplines. The principal focus of this role is managing the successful development, integration and delivery of subsystems design and test according to customer specifications. Product Management Process (PMP) is used to effectively guide new and existing products through its development cycle. Key interactions will be required with various groups (i.e., marketing, internal and external subsystem vendors, architecture, mechanical, electrical, software, applications). Based on the type of project this can be across geographically dispersed locations including Europe and US based Engineering teams.
You will typically be responsible to run 2 to 3 projects or activities in parallel. You will be seen as the spokesperson for your projects and will manage your projects from start to finish. The decisions made by you and your teams will have direct business impact. Your challenge will be to create technological complex products, meeting the needs of all your stakeholders, combining short term goals with long term needs. You will report directly to the Manager R&D of the Deliver Beam and Optics group.
Duties and responsibilities
- Manage the development and delivery of modules and sub-systems in line with our technology roadmap
- Execute projects for approved customer special requests within the group responsibility
- Adherence to the PMP and defined delivery schedules.
- Adherence to the engineering budgeting process by providing financial/budgetary analysis and recommendations for projected systems development/design, enhancements/upgrades and manpower, and steering project execution within these budgets
- Implement rigorous review processes and set clear expectations around the key deliverables of the project.
- Effectively negotiate engineering requirements with cross-functional teams including marketing, manufacturing and field service.
- Analyze how key modules can be designed for and reused in next-generation products and influence development processes along these lines.
- Contribute to quality improvement and COGS reduction by conducting relevant analytical procedures and recommendations.
- Leading and motivating cross-functional teams for the given projects.
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- Typically requires a University Degree in Physics, Engineering or related discipline.
- Typically requires 7-10 years of work experience, of which you have worked in an R&D environment.
- 3+ years proven experience in systems or subsystems project management, with ambition to continue to grow in a role as project manager
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex engineering projects through a defined product management process.
- Ability to build consensus among key stakeholders that may not be under your management control.
- Strong communication ability is required due to the cross-functional nature of this role. An ability to communicate complex technical concepts to a variety of audiences is helpful in this role.
- Ability to manage and assign specific duties, and create a constructive and cooperative working relationship.
- Experience with managing mechanical designs and transferring to regular supply chain is a preference.
We seek candidates that take initiative, are self-steering, self-confident and conceptual thinkers. Outside of excellent communicator, you’re a team player and can switch easily to any level in our organization. You have perseverance, are decisive and target driven with a proven quality-, cost- and time-focus. You combine a strong analytical view with a pragmatic attitude and are able to flex yourself in a dynamic product development environment. You are value oriented and able to set and act according priorities at the same time.