With more than 60 years of innovation and leadership, we enable customers to find meaningful answers to questions that accelerate breakthrough discoveries, increase productivity, and ultimately change the world. We design, manufacture, and support the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales. Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets, the worldwide team of 3200+employees is dedicated to customers' pursuit of discovery and resolution to global challenges.
Check out these videos!
Inside the FEI Titan Transmission Electron Microscope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
How to make a microscope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6J_f4yVVg
The installation of a Talos at the University of Chicago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rTgRq7iD0
The world needs answer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSxT6Y099I
Our Worldwide Operations organization is responsible for Component and System Manufacturing (Production), Product Engineering, Global Materials &Logistics, Global Sourcing & Supplier Management, and Document Control.
The task of the Principal Systems Architect (IA&D) is to lead the system and component architecture developments within the image acquisition and detection (IA&D) platform as integral part of the Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM) systems. The platform integrates the different detection and image acquisition techniques used in TEM (imaging, EDS, STEM, etc.). It provides advanced real time data processing capability and enables advanced user experiences, reduced time to information and increased ease of use. The Principal Systems Architect (IA&D) maintains its currency and evolves it further by orchestrating the initial phases of product development for a broad range of system functions, modules, options.
- Creation of project definitions in a team with the product manager, project leader and specialists
- Contributes to the creation of the Image Acquisition & Detection roadmap of the TEM system
- Translation of market requirements into system design specifications, system design, and translation of system design into module requirement specifications
- Setup of experiments to investigate detailed behavior of designs or their implementation in TEM systems
- Optimization of system-level performance (resolution, quality, throughput, cost, …) during product development
- Communication and documentation of own and teamwork, through presentations and reports
- Support (through active support and knowledge transfer) activities in product management, product development and engineering, and marketing
- Responsible for maintaining and expanding consolidated roadmaps for the platform, and synchronizing them with component roadmaps on the one hand and product roadmaps on the other hand
- Visible within the company as the leader in this area. This process involves being able to balance both market and technology opportunities in the innovation funnel translating marketing input for continuity but also seeing technical opportunities for future growth
- Responsibilities include developing solutions to critical problems and complex design issues. Works on problems that impact future products. Scope of activities is focused mainly on tactical and strategic issues. Erroneous decisions or failure to achieve objectives results in additional costs and personnel, and serious delays in overall schedules
- Manage large-sized study projects, be technical lead in platform development projects
- Drive for cost down and obsolescence removal / prevention
- Responsible for maintaining technical currency in a broad range of state‑of‑the‑art principles and practices relevant to the area of system design
Education and Qualifications
- Master Degree or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics, Physics, Mathematics or equivalent
- Ideally OOTI or equivalent post-graduate education
- Requires 15+ years of experience with at least 5 years in a Staff Engineer role
- A university degree is required and a PhD or other advanced degree is strongly preferred, or a combination of education and experience that demonstrate the required skills
- A physics background and advanced knowledge on a broad area of technology, preferred in the imaging, X-ray and detection domain with strong conceptual thinking skills
- Experience in software architecture/development, since a significant (and growing) part of the system is defined by software. The principal systems architect must have a thorough understanding of how software is designed and must have a clear view on the (ever changing) partitioning of functions in the various technology domains.
- Within the area of expertise mastery of concepts, principles and practice is required. This knowledge is gained through deep involvement into the development of complex systems, combined with theoretical studies
- Being recognized as the expert in his/her field, both within the company and outside. Proven track of breakthrough thinking results.
- Capable of working on diverse and broad problems where analysis of a situation or data requires an evaluation of variable factors. Able to act independently by using judgment and thinking within broadly defined policies and objectives within the area of expertise/knowledge under general direction
- Capable of frequent and productive interactions with sr. management, supervisors, customers and peers, on matters between functional areas, other company divisions or units, or customers and the company. Excellent skills in persuading, inspiring, developing and motivating are required in order to interact with other people
- Competent in creating the right working climate because major accountabilities are achieved through teamwork with others. Advisor to staff - and sr. scientists, staff – and sr. engineers, project leaders, and sr. managers, to resolve problems and/or meet schedules
- All experience may have been gained concurrently
- Result driven and showing initiative
- Curious, fast learning (mostly on the job)
- Value orientation, getting to the essence, setting and acting according to priorities