Assists senior members of Project Engineering Team (Project Engineer I & II) and/or carries out management of engineering projects of lesser complexity including estimating costs, sourcing, identifying, specifying, purchasing and installing equipment, design/modification of existing or new facilities to meet site/company requirements.
Engineering Design and Project Management
Assists Project Engineer (II & III) in the design, supervision, control and monitoring of engineering projects using Project Management process to assure that the designs and specifications will achieve the full desired objective of the project, focusing on reduced costs, improved productivity, quality and Good Manufacturing Practice compliance. Carries the activities independently for less complex projects.
- Selects and supervises the engineering contractor as needed.
- Monitors progress and assures all assigned projects are being completed as intended, on time and within budget.
- Develops and presents recommended project solutions along with realistic cost estimates to internal clients.
- Makes appropriate changes to the scope as the scope changes during the course of the project
- Develops, reviews, and understands engineering drawings that include equipment recommendations. Specifies construction methods to achieve the desired objectives
- Develops, reviews, and understands specifications for new equipment with equipment vendors and site customers.
- Develops, reviews, and understands specifications for facility modifications with contractors and site customers.
Engineering Construction Supervision and Start-Up of a Project
Assists Project Engineer (II & III) in directing, controlling and monitoring construction phases of engineering projects to assure that the project is implemented per the established scope, on time, and within budget. Assures compliance with all Good Manufacturing Practices required documentation for all installed equipment. Carries the activities independently for less complex projects.
- Assists in the creation of detailed bid packages for contractors and equipment vendors. Selects and directs construction contractors /equipment vendors.
- Assists and/or coordinates creation and execution of Installation Qualification (IQ)/Operational Qualification (OQ)/Performance Qualification (PQ) protocols and change control documentation.
- Continually monitors the contractors’ safety performance and promptly rectifies any safety violations that occur.
- Continually monitors the contractors’ quality of work and promptly rectifies any quality or job performance deficiencies.
- Manages the process of installing and commissioning equipment and/or modifying facilities to meet site customer and company client requirements with minimal interruption to operational schedules, ensuring good engineering practices are adhered to for the construction, installation and commissioning of new processes and facilities.
Project Administrative Tasks
- Assists in the development of User Requirement and Equipment Specifications. Carries the activities independently for less complex projects.
- Develops and manages formal request quotation process for use in the department.
- Tracks project costs and authorizes payments to contractors after verifying with senior team members.
- Maintains project records and communicates to supervision and upper management project costs, status, and safety conditions.
Learning and Training
- Proposes, attends and participates in personal training and development programs to enhance job performance. Actively supports the department site lead process improvement teams and associated improvement projects.
- Reviews new products and technology by attending seminars and workshops.
Other duties as required.
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related discipline.
- Combination of Engineering Technologist Diploma and adequate experience will be also considered.
- Good understanding of project management and project engineering principles. Combination of other experience and skills will be also considered.
- Ability to work with limited supervision.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office applications including MS Project.
- Knowledge of ACAD.
- Strong judgment, decision making and trouble shooting skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral).
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Familiarity with Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Proficiency with the English language.