What You’ll Get to Do:
As a Mechanical Design Engineering Co-op you will work in a new product development environment that develops a wide variety of plastic lab ware products from concept to launch.
Your ideas will bring new products to life as you collaborate with other design engineers, process development engineers, packaging engineers, quality engineers and project leaders to develop plastic products for life science, medical device, laboratory, diagnostic and consumer product markets.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with a Co-op mentor in a new product development environment that will allow you to learn product development methods and grow your design engineering knowledge.
How You’ll Make a Difference:
- Partner with Great Coworkers: Participate on cross functional project teams to develop new products and manufacturing processes. Present engineering design and analysis results at technical reviews. Work with your Co-op mentor on specific engineering assignments.
- Solid Model Design: Develop Solid Works solid models that achieve design requirements using best design practices and industry design standards.
- Detailed Drafting: Create detailed technical product drawings and customer product specification drawings utilizing GD&T standards. Complete engineering change requests and BOM updates.
- Design Analysis and Verification testing: Support design analysis activities by conducting tolerance stack-up analyses and design verification testing. Make arithmetic computations using standard formulas, calculate dimensions and tolerances.
- Develop Engineering Standards: Help to create and implement engineering design guides and standards.
- Currently enrolled in a Mechanical or Plastics engineering Bachelors Degree program
- Experience with solid modeling (Solidworks, ProE or Unigraphics is preferred).
- Knowledge of mechanical tolerance analysis methods.
- Experience with basic data analysis and statistics to analysis part measurement data.
- Strong PC skills, proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Willing to travel domestically approximately 10%
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Creative, innovative and critical thinking
- Analytical nature, responds positively to challenges and a problem solver
- Responsive, results oriented and task driven
- Self-directed, well-organized with ability to manage multiple assignments
- Excellent documentation, planning and organizational skills
What We Do
We serve science and medicine like no other. Our customers help patients and do research with a variety of products such as general lab ware, ionized water, bioproduction, high-end injectables, and ocular medicine with some of the largest drug manufacturers across the globe. For others, we provide a consumer product line of well known Nalgene® water bottles.
About Rochester: Ranked by MSN as the #1 Most Livable Bargain Markets in the US, Rochester is a great place for a new college graduate. With low housing costs and a vibrant downtown full of arts and culture, it’s an ideal place to gain world class career experience while you pay down your students loans and enjoy your post-college years.
Conveniently located within a 400 mile radius of 14 northeastern states, Rochester is the western gateway to the fabulous Finger Lakes Region, the Adirondacks, and other scenic byways. If you’re looking for a thriving career in an affordable city, you will find it at Thermo Fisher Scientific in Rochester.
Other “Best of Lists” for Rochester:
Smart and Innovative:
- The Daily Beast – One of the “Top 10 Smartest Cities in America” (2010)
- Business Insider -13th "Most Innovative City in the U.S." (Feb 2013)
- Fast Company – One of the “Ten Underrated Hotbeds of American Innovation” (Aug 2012)
Living and Culture:
- CNN Money - #2 “10 Least Stressed Out Cities” (Jul 2014)
- MSN - #1 Most Livable Bargain Market in the US” (Jul 2011)
- Rochester Biz - Health care costs are among the lowest in the country, 30% below the national average
- Forbes - #48 Best Places for Business and Careers” (Jul 2014)
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training, and competitive compensation.