Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
The Staff Scientist is a technical leader responsible for the development and sustaining of Ion Chromatography products based on ion exchange technology. Conducts research, analysis, and experimentation on ion exchange materials and hardware. Assembles functional analytical devices, including consumables for such purposes as product and process development and application, quantitative and qualitative analysis, and improvement of analytical methodologies.
Responsibilities: Job responsibilities include approximately 80% lab work. Lab work is heavily weighted towards the development of ion chromatography products, new suppressor products, and related consumable products. A Staff Scientist in R&D is expected to work independently on all assigned projects, designing and implementing experiments on a daily basis to steer the project towards completion.
Job duties and responsibilities include the following:.
- Conduct leading-edge research and development in the field of Ion Chromatography and related instrumentation, which include the areas of MS, IC-MS and ion exchange separations, membrane based desalting technology, membrane technology and method development.
- Investigate and explore new ideas and concepts by defining experiments, building, debugging, and characterizing prototype hardware/software in order to verify proof of principle.
- Work with engineers and chemists to design prototypes and new products.
- Collaborate closely with project team members and other cross-functional groups in the organization including marketing, applications, and business development.
- Submit and present project updates and reports in verbal and written formats.
- Write invention disclosures and possible patent applications.
- Manage and prioritize daily assignments to ensure timely completion.
- Attend and participate in scheduled planning meetings and/or status meetings.
- Manage and maintain required reagents, laboratory environment, and equipment needed to carry out assignments.
- Adhere to safety and regulatory requirements
- Transfer new products from R&D to Manufacturing.
- Responsible for sustaining products.
- Writing SOP and work instruction according to ISO 9001 requirements.
- Other opportunities may include possible contributions to scientific literature and presentations at conferences.
- Conduct exploratory research for new ion chromatography hardware or consumables with improved performance.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Typically requires a Master’s degree or equivalent in chemistry or related field.
- In depth knowledge of chromatography is required (such as high pressure liquid chromatography or Ion chromatography)
- Knowledge of ion exchange materials, suppressor or fuel cell or electrochemical device operation or polymer chemistry principles and mass spectrometry is a plus.
- Well versed in the use of analytical equipment and analytical chemistry principles
- High level of technology fluency to understand and properly communicate the technology associated with assigned products.
- Strong understanding of instrumentation principles and troubleshooting ability.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks with different priorities
- Ability to make independent decisions and possess strong initiative
- Ability to dissect problems with strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to accurately plan, define, and manage projects tasks
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Capable of working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.
- 5 years of R&D laboratory experience
- Ph.D. or Post-Doctoral Scientist
- Experience in analytical chemistry with a focus on chromatography
- Strong understanding of Analytical chemistry principles
- Record of accomplishment should be demonstrated by publications or patents