When you are part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you will do important work, and you will be valued and recognized for your performance. With talented managers and inspiring coworkers to support you, you will find the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Develops and enhances control systems to meet present and future company automation needs. Supports automation by assisting in isolating, identifying, and resolving problems related to existing systems.
- Maintains computer system readiness by assisting in the diagnosis of hardware, software, instrument, and process problems, resolving those in areas of responsibility and coordinating the resolution of the remainder.
- Manages small to medium project assignments, requiring some creativity in the application of standard techniques and procedures, setting priorities as required to meet quality, cost, and schedule objectives.
- Develops system documentation. Translates and develops user needs into requirements documentation that clearly represent these requirements.
- Modifies system software to provide enhancements to process automation.
- Assists in the start up of new operations by verifying loop continuity and performance, and ensuring code and configurations meet specifications and validation requirements.
- Maintains system and application documentation necessary to provide accurate records of system design. Assists in preparing user guides when required.
- Coordinates maintenance of system operating supplies and spare parts, and Plant Maintenance (PM) programs. Defines required contract services and coordinate their procurement.
- Coordinates training of supervisors, technical and operative staff in the use of systems by participating in course development and presentations.
- Works in a safe and responsible manner in order to create an injury-free and incident-free workplace. Complies with all job-related safety and other training requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related discipline is preferred.
- Four years of relevant experience is preferred.
- Equivalent combinations of education, training, and relevant work experience may be considered.
- Strong knowledge in computer control system, system start-ups, loop tuning, troubleshooting, and control system modifications.
- Experience developing process or equipment control applications.
- Develop PLC ladder logic or function block and/or DCS system development.
- Prefer knowledge of A-B and Modicon PLCs and/or DCS, D/3 experience.
- Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills. Self-starter, mature, independent and dependable.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment under pressure, able to multi-task and is results-oriented.
- Demonstrates ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Effect time management and prioritization skills. Requires discretion and independent judgement.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills.
Position requires ordinary ambulatory skills and physical coordination sufficient to move about office locations; ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch periodically for prolonged periods of time; manipulation (lift, carry, move) of light to medium weights of 10-35 pounds; arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp and type for prolonged periods of time; visual acuity to use a keyboard, computer monitor, operate equipment, and read materials for prolonged periods of time; ability to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear for prolonged periods of time.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.