Executive-level commercial leadership role responsible for leading the Americas Commercial organization of the Laboratory Products Division (LPD) for Thermo Fisher Scientific. This role reports into the LSG Global Vice President, Commercial Operations and the President for LPD as a key member of both the LSG Global Commercial team as well as the LPD Leadership Team.
In this role the candidate will be leading the commercial efforts for a diverse portfolio of products as well as engaging with a mix of go to market strategies used to address the needs of customers ranging from Pharma, Biotech, Academic, Environmental, Industrial, Food & Beverage, Semiconductor, etc. The portfolio represents foundational technologies and products used in every lab every day and are viewed as the components that are essential to science and support all customers of Thermo Fisher Scientific. Key success factors will be associated with the successful candidate being able to lead in a complex environment managing a variety of strategic commercial trade-offs.
- Lead, develop and direct LPD's Americas Commercial leadership team including direct and dotted-line functional reports in line with LPD’s business unit strategies.
- Leverage and evolve the diversity of go to market approaches currently being used to optimize the overall impact on our customer relationships (direct, distribution partners, eCommerce, OEM, etc.).
- Enable sustainable change initiatives and champion a practical process improvement environment leveraging available companywide tools and processes.
- Collaborates with LPE, LET and WLP Business Units to develop and execute strategic initiatives.
- Achieve annual operating plan results (organic growth, revenue, EBITA, etc.) leveraging various tools and support resources available.
- Identify new growth opportunities in existing as well as adjacent markets and support the identification of new relevant product opportunities Actively manage and make necessary price/volume trade-off decisions required to reach overall business objectives
- Lead and evolve commercial processes that effectively manage the sales forecast and pipeline working closely with operations and the business units
- Collaborate effectively with LPD and other internal commercial resources to develop solutions selling capabilities through training and recruiting. Validate and translate (grow) specific workflow solutions through successful commercialization of LPD bundles for specific market segments.
- Initiate and lead LPD Commercial talent development initiatives including HRR, PMD, recruiting, incentive compensation and training programs.
- Coach team and customer channels colleagues on achieving price objectives based on value selling and effective product positioning.
- Communicates effectively with colleagues, Global leadership team and senior management on progress against sales targets and future plans for driving performance.
- Effectively balance the diversity of business types (consumables and hardware) under your leadership to maximize the overall potential
- Contributes to overall strategy and direction of LPE, LET and WLP businesses. Actively participates in all Thermo Fisher Scientific business processes (Strategic Planning, Annual Operating Plans, Quarterly and Monthly Business Reviews)
- Effectively coach and develop team members across the Commercial leadership team while increasing overall EIS results.
- Ensure close field and management level collaboration with Tier 1 channel partners.
- Collaborate with division and BU leadership to integrate approach to Independent Channel Partners to improve coverage, growth and sales productivity.
- Provide direction and feedback to LPD tactical marketing resources for Tier 1 programs ranging from promotions to supply chain initiatives.
The ideal candidate will have a solid track record of effectively managing large diverse commercial teams which consistently overachieve their objectives. Demonstrated effectiveness selling scientific products through multiple distribution channels and to direct end use customers is a must. The successful candidate will have developed into a dynamic commercial leader based on experience gained in successive roles of increasing responsibility. The person may also have experience in other key leadership roles such as general management, business development, marketing or product management.
The successful candidate will have the following characteristics:
- Demonstrated ability to develop a high performance sales organization selling through diverse channels.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage customer and partner relationships at the most senior level.
- Ability to instil confidence and gain loyalty from a broad range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to be effective in a highly matrixed global environment.
- Metrics and data driven with exceptional skill managing a team to overachieve performance objectives based on sound commercial processes and through the deployment of continuous improvement methodologies (PPI).
- Ability to recruit and develop excellent talent.
- Strong business acumen
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain professional and personal relationships with key business partners and customers positively impacting business growth
- Skill in implementing tactical sales programs based on competitor analysis, product positioning strategy, pricing strategies and other inputs from Marketing.
- Excellent goal setting and alignment process skills.
- Strong change management skills and experiences.
Bachelor’s degree required; chemistry, biology or business preferred. Post-graduate qualification such as an MBA or a PhD recommended.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.