Job Title: Site Leader
Requisition ID: 64570BR
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
The Laboratory Chemicals Division provides a full range of analytical reagents and fine chemicals to Thermo Fisher’s core markets worldwide. The Bridgewater facility is critical to the Division as it serves as a high volume production site and the North American Distribution center. The Site Leader of the Bridgewater NJ facility has responsibility for the chemical packaging facility, internal and 3PL warehouses plus foreign and domestic distribution.
How will you make an impact?
The Site Leader (Director of Operations) has overall responsibility for the 350,000 square foot Bridgewater facility with ~200 employees and serves as the single point of contact for all operations-related matters. The site performs filling, packaging and QC along with the distribution of dry and liquid chemicals in both flammable and non-flammable classes. The Site Leader will report to the Sr. Director, Global Operations of Laboratory Analytical Reagents business unit. The Site Leader will have strong connection with the Business Unit leaders of the product portfolio and colleagues in similar positions at other locations.
You will lead, direct and develop the operation teams to implement strategic plans, set business goals and manage resources to optimize performance. Responsible for ensuring compliance with all aspects of health, safety and environmental compliance, and security of the site and promoting continuous improvement at all times.
What will you do?
- Responsible for day to day Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost Leadership throughout the Bridgewater Global Chemical facility. Instill voice of customer throughout each process to ensure all Operations have the customer requirement in mind, every day for every job.
- Planning & Strategy – Develop annual performance and financial goals. Assist with ongoing development and refinement of the Global Chemicals long term operations strategic plan.
- Responsible for delivery of the Annual Objective Plan and the P&L for the Bridgewater site
- Responsible for the delivery of key metrics for the business as a whole
- Develop and manage departmental budgets and operating budgets including capital expenditure to company timetable.
- Maintain the plant / facility in a manner consistent with the needs dictated:
- Customers’ Expectations
- Regulatory agencies requirements
- Support, coach and develop Value Stream Leaders and staff in line with company policy and procedures regarding appraisals, counseling, performance monitoring, salary reviews and personal and employee engagement plans. Recruit exceptional talent; Develop succession plans and upgrade the Operations team bench strength; Identify training needs and requirements
- Safety – Drive continued improvements in health and environmental safety to achieve world-class levels. Including all external reporting requirements, site safety training and records, and accident investigation.
- To comply & conform with the environmental and quality policy. Act appropriately with regard to issues affecting impacts on the environment and conforming to product requirements. Assist in achieving environmental objectives and targets.
- Lead the implementation of Thermo Fisher’s continuous improvement methodology Practical Process Improvement (PPI) and the implementation of Lean Manufacturing techniques. Responsible for creating and delivering the annual PPI budget and plans, developing the PPI Culture and the sharing of performance and best practice.
- Communicate effectively to all levels of the organization, including the Global Chemicals Leadership Team.
- Some domestic and international travel may be required (up to 10%).
How will you get here?
- Minimum 10 years’ experience managing a manufacturing operation to a high degree of operational excellence
- Experience in a senior leadership role, driving strategic objectives and projects
- Proven track record of driving change across value streams and demonstrated ability to be an effective change agent within a global organization.
- Preferred Experience in the following areas:
- Chemical, Pharmaceutical or Medical Device industries (ISO 9001)
- Manufacture, packaging and logistics of hazardous substances
- Warehousing and distribution
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership implementing operational excellence techniques and initiatives, including lean manufacturing, 5S, continuous improvement, and/or six sigma tools. Proven track record driving significant improvements in operational excellence
- Ability to quickly build rapport and credibility and establish productive working relationships with all levels and functions of the organization
- Apply urgency to issues that require it.
- Driven and self-motivated; Calculated risk taker with a high bias for action that achieves results.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team player. Ability to generate enthusiasm and build effective working relationships globally.
- Skilled at problem solving and conflict resolution to create a “win-win” mentality and drive results.
- Solid foundation and knowledge of engineering principles, manufacturing methods, materials management, finance and facilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to communicate critical issues.
- Ability to coach & mentor people and effectively work, influence, and negotiate in global cross-functional team settings.
- Strong team building skills and the proven ability to work with a diverse group of people.
- Absolute integrity and transparency
- Ability to instill confidence within staff, Thermo Fisher Scientific and customers
- Knowledge about the manufacture, packaging and logistics of hazardous substances preferred.
- Experience leading a Union workforce preferred
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com