About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts production activities for silica based separation media and related intermediates.
- Optimizes silica grafting and synthesis process to facilitate good process reproducibility and high volume production.
- Develops process strategies for high volume production of silica media using complex grafting processes and procedures.
- Co-manages with the product development chemist the transfer of production processes for new product introduction from R&D to Manufacturing.
- Uses common analytical methods for evaluating the performance of grafted silica synthesis or grafting process.
- Responsible for sustaining all chemistry related processes for Silica Manufacturing.
- Writes SOP and work instruction according to ISO 9001 requirements.
- Responsible for all current grafted Silica product lines and some latex syntheses.
- Plans, coordinates, and implements programs for Silica manufacturing process reproducibility.
- Analyzes and reports the performance data on various Silica production issues: productivity, quality control, specification ranges.
- Trains and supervises when needed production chemists and technicians production procedures.
- Maintains laboratory equipment and instrumentation, and recommends replacement as needed.
- Interprets results of laboratory activities to laboratory personnel and management.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Minimum: Bachelor’s in Chemistry and 8 years synthetic chemistry experience, grafting and surface modification of silica particles; or Master's degree in Organic Synthetic Chemistry with 4 years' relevant experience; or Ph.D. in Organic Synthetic Chemistry required.
- Deep knowledge and experience in analysis of grafting and surface modification of polymeric materials required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Distinguish between required and preferred or desired.
- Demonstrate Thermo Fisher Scientific values – Integrity, Intensity, Innovation and Involvement.
- Must have strong background in synthetic organic chemistry.
- Must have excellent inter-personal, communication and organizational skills.
- Expert knowledge of scientific principles, concepts, practices and standards in synthetic chemistry applied to chromatography is required.
- Ability to independently design, plan and execute project tasks is required.
- Ability to plan and control project timescales and execution strategies in complex technical and operational situations is required.
- Ability to drive the realization of technical excellence and under the guidance of Manufacturing leadership is required
- Technical communication requirements: ability to produce and present original technical communication materials for internal and external audiences.
- Proficiency in PC software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required