Director, Operations - Bedford
Strong operations and business leader needed to lead a diverse team in support of consumable products for use in diagnostics, biopharmaceutical manufacturing and research. This position will report directly to the Vice President of Operations within the BioProduction Division but supports multiple divisions within the Life Sciences Solutions Group. Responsibilities require an intense focus on meeting customer (internal and external) expectations and delivering to financial commitments while fostering a culture of accountability, collaboration and continuous improvement.
Key Objectives of the role:
- Assume personal accountability for the success of all teams and businesses at the Bedford Campus.
- Meet or exceed financial commitments.
- Ensure Safety is the number one priority for all employees.
- Drive compliance to applicable Quality System Guidelines and Regulations.
- Manage budgets, schedules and key operating metrics.
- Coordinate the hiring, training, coaching and annual performance reviews of team. Facilitate and mentor the development of team members and front line leaders to be exceptional players.
- Develop and align operations strategies to business and global operations strategies; cascade operations strategies and align to annual goals and priorities.
- Develop and establish strong operating mechanisms to ensure business objectives are met.
- Establish key performance indicators that drive change and visibility to the team and leadership. Track, trend, and monitor routinely with active data analysis to target and drive results.
- Effectively use prioritization mechanisms to best utilize shared resources across teams to complete required workload (multiple projects)
- Monitor and manage progress on projects, ensuring key requirements and milestones are met.
- Develop and execute robust Risk Management practices across all facets of the value streams.
- Efficiently facilitate the transfer of new products into production while effectively managing risks.
- Bachelor's degree in related discipline and/or equivalent experience. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of management experience in a complex manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated results through influence of direct and indirect reporting relationships in a matrixed environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills both written and verbal and the ability to facilitate team interactions.
- Strong leadership ability with the capability to leverage diverse resources, respond quickly, understand the impact of changes and decisions, facilitate agreement, build collaborative relationships and focus on customer needs.
- Ability to work with individuals at all levels and within all functions to motivate strong results.
- Practical experience in continuous improvement leadership/methodologies to drive productivity.
- Strong analytical ability including the ability to effectively use data in problem solving and to evaluate process changes and impacts.
- Ability to partner with and influence key stakeholders including Finance, R&D, Product Management and the Commercial team.
- Must be able to independently manage multiple complex projects concurrently while meeting target dates.
- Ability to influence and communicate at all levels in the organization.
- Experience within a cGMP environment is valuable.
- Lean and/or Six-Sigma Experience.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.