Role:Senior Technical Writer- Graphics and Production
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 70,000 employees globally. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity.
The “Digital Engineering” team is tasked with applying industry best practices to the design, development, and deployment world-class software products. We are looking to hire individuals with experience with software development and test engineering in clinical and research settings, and who can help us solve the next wave of technical challenges using the latest cloud-based, big-data, and rich analytics tool sets.
- Deliver user documentation such as quick start guides, online help, tutorials, e-learning videos and animations for Thermofisher’s software products
- Create and manage templates for videos and animations
- Do production edits on graphics and peer documentation
- Develop topic-based, structured, single-source documentation using XML
- Author and optimize learning content into reusable objects
Requirements Skills and Knowledge:
- Skilled in technical publications tools such as Framemaker, Xmetal, Robohelp, Adobe Captivate, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experienced in single sourcing, topic based writing, and DITA
- Proven ability to manage multimedia technical writing projects from start to finish independently
- Ability to estimate the working time required to complete a task, or time required for a team to complete a task
- Skilled at design thinking from the perspective of the user
- Expertise in structuring content in topics that can be grouped as a single deliverable and can also be reused in other documents
- Solid understanding of Lean/Agile/XP software development processes
- Familiar with courseware design and development tools such as Adobe eLearning Suite,
- Flash, Lectora, Camtasia, Articulate
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Biochemistry, or similar degree with 4 years of experience; Master’s degree with 6 years of experience with technical writing or PhD with 3 years of experience
- Understanding of the competitive landscapes and industries Thermofisher operates within, as well as an awareness of how Thermofisher drives value to its customers
- Has excellent collaboration skills, and leverages Thermofisher’s relationships across the business to drive outcomes
- Champions an innovative spirit within the business and is constantly looking for new and better ways to do things.
- Should be able to executes on new methods when appropriate. Constantly thinking critically about the task at hand and maintaining an understanding of the problem in the big picture
- Should effectively weighs the pros and cons of important decisions that affect multiple team members.