When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
ThermoFisher Scientific’s Life Sciences Mass Spectrometry group is looking for an enthusiastic and well qualified Software Scientist for developing Mass spectrometry instrument software that includes real time control of instruments, associated algorithms for instrument control, instrument calibration, high speed performance and real time data analysis.
The individual should be able to combine extensive knowledge of core sciences like ion physics and chemistry with computer programming for embedded systems, .net applications and cloud based software processing. The ability to effectively communicate and work in a diverse environment with scientists, software developers and chemists is paramount to success in this role.
Following are the essential functions in the position:
- Develop software for instrument control system of mass spectrometry instruments using a combination of Lua, Python, C#, C++ and C.
- The control system includes controlling various devices, and peripherals to run scans and modify the control parameters based on the data set obtained.
- Design and implement algorithms and software control services for prototyping of new functions and ideas.
- Develop procedures for calibration and tuning of various control elements in a mass spectrometer, like ion optic lenses, quadrupoles, ion traps and orbitraps, including mathematical and statistical modeling.
- Bring-up code/systems in lab and test software builds.
- Work closely with research scientists to implement and contribute to patentable ideas.
- Advances the group’s capability by in-depth research, innovation and continuous improvement.
- Work with external academic collaborators Work with field support in troubleshooting and reproducing customer issues, when required.
Minimum Requirements or Qualifications:
- The individual must have strong scientific and good software development skills to design, implement, verify and deploy complex mass spectrometry and chromatography instruments and systems.
- The candidate should have a PhD in scientific fields like Applied Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Bioinformatics or Computer Science.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to review and evaluate writing of others.
Additional Skills and Knowledge:
- Data structures and basic computing algorithms including sorting and searching.
- Good programming know how with either C++ and or C#.
- Knowledge of scripting languages like Python or Lua.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com