Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $18 billion and more than 55,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
This on-site Instrument Services Technician reports directly to the Regional Service Manager and coordinates on-site repair activities. Provide priority service to Thermo Fisher Scientific Life Technologies for corrective repairs on Equipment for which the On-site Instrument Services Technician is trained, ensures that agreed-upon service levels are achieved for assigned corrective repair service events, provides initial troubleshooting/triage for category 1 equipment when appropriate and reports to the Site Manager so next steps can be taken, such as assigning an alternate repair technician or identifying what is needed to complete service.
- Coordinate repair, maintenance, and calibration for the Carlsbda, CA facility with assigned Site Manager.
- Provide priority on-site service, maintenance, calibration, and repair for equipment for which the technician is trained. All calibrations will utilize defined protocols and procedures.
- Provide initial troubleshooting/triage for category 1 equipment when appropriate and report to the Site Manager so next steps can be taken, such as assigning an alternate repair technician or identifying what is needed to complete service or calibration activity.
- Escorting external vendors to repair/calibration locations following established procedures and SOP requirements of site.
- Assist with asset inventory auditing on a monthly basis
- Document repairs, calibrations, and other activities into service database system and ensure that customer receives field service reports for all work performed.
- Use computerized tracking tools to scheduled planned maintenance events.
- Order parts and tools as needed to complete repairs in a timely manner and to meet repair cycle time requirements. Actively communicates delays to on-site service manager.
- Completes daily/weekly/monthly administrative tasks such as entering timesheets, reporting repairs, documenting activities, and ensuring that measuring equipment is properly calibrated.
- Attend Daily/Weekly open service call meetings with Site Manager and/or regional manager.
- Supports the Quality Management System by development, maintenance and full adherence to departmental work instructions, standard operating procedures (SOP’s) in fulfillment of the requirements of our Quality Management System and the expectations of our interested parties (internal / external), identifies and report quality or compliance concerns to management and the quality function and take immediate actions to remedy, and completes all planned or unplanned quality & compliance training requirements within defined deadlines
- Ensure that agreed-upon service levels are achieved for assigned repair service events.
- Some overtime or weekend work may be required.
- Ability to lift 75 Lbs without assistance 15% of the time.
- Ability to lift and carry 25-30 Lbs continuously throughout the day.
- Ability to use troubleshooting tools such as user’s manuals, service manuals, volt meters, oscilloscopes, temperature probes, or other technical diagnostic tools as needed.
- Ability to bend, squat, stretch, and reach on a daily basis in a service function.
- Ability to travel as needed for training for several weeks per year or as needed
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and safe driving record.
- Regular and Reliable Attendance
- Ability to operate computers and software required (Microsoft Windows, Office (Word , Excel, Outlook), Internet Explorer)
Experience and Education
- Prior on-site work as a repair technician preferred in a GXP environment
- Computer skills in Windows, Microsoft Office
- Associates Degree in Electronics or equivalent education or experience.
- Strong electrical and mechanical background.
- Refrigeration Experience preferred
- EPA certification preferred
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.