Job Title: Team Lead, Manufacturing Synthetic Biology
Requisition ID: 64903BR
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities
The Synthetic Biology department in Pleasanton is seeking a Manufacturing Team Lead with experiences in the area of molecular biology/biotechnology to support our manufacturing operations in the organization and execution of production flows as well as reporting and documentation of production results. In addition to daily manufacturing tasks, the Manufacturing Team Lead is responsible for leading the Gene Delivery team within the Synthetic Biology department to meet manufacturing goals with general responsibility for safety, quality, cost, compliance, and human resource development. This will involve liaising with all different functions within operations. This role will be responsible for ensuring proper and effective utilization of the team and will support the optimization of workflows and improving product quality. In addition, this position will support the establishment and implementation of new methods and laboratory equipment. Strong time management and organization skills along with interpersonal skills and ability to participate effectively in multidisciplinary teams to solve problems in manufacturing environment are essential.
- Lead a small team in performing Gene Delivery duties with general responsibility for safety, quality, cost, compliance, and human resource development.
- Coordinate within the team and cooperate outside of the team to ensure manufacturing goals are met
- Accomplish manufacturing staff results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; initiating, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies and procedures.
- Assist or lead efforts to drive continuous process improvement as it relates to targeted metrics and lean manufacturing.
- Record and report daily metrics within the Daily Management Tier System.
- Document standard work/SOPs and provide continuous feedback to team members to assure all are adhering to procedures and striving for continuous improvement and alignment with the objectives.
- Ensure proper initial and cross training is performed to a satisfactory standard and ensure proper cross training to avoid capacity delays.
- Provide the training and guidance necessary to enable the employees to improve their own abilities and skill levels.
- Develop individuals and work teams such that they can operate effectively with minimal supervision.
- Create an environment where employees can grow and develop into greater levels of contribution.
- Maintain quality
- Manage the vacation schedules of all employees on shift.
- BS in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or Chemistry and 3 or more years of experience in an biotechnological manufacturing environment or research or MS in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or Chemistry and experience in an manufacturing environment
- Hands-on experience in molecular biology
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to communicate effectively with people in other disciplines
- Working knowledge of process improvement
- Organized, responsible and dependable
- Interpersonal Skills
- Strong Motivator
Preferred Qualifications (Nice to Have)
- Experienced in the use of an MES or LIMS for manufacturing
- Proven skills of DNA manipulation methods, DNA cloning, DNA preparation, purification and sequence analysis
This position does not have relocation assistance
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.