Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of $22B and 65,000 employees in 50 countries. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive support.
Analytical Instruments Group - Materials & Structural Analysis Division
Our Thermo Scientific brand in the analytical instruments group offers customers in research, academic, industrial and applied markets a complete range of high-end analytical instruments as well as laboratory equipment, software and services. In the materials and structural analysis division we design, manufacture, and support the broadest range of high-performance microscopy workflows that provide images and answers in the micro-, nano-, and picometer scales. Combining hardware and software expertise in electron, ion, FTIR, NIR, NMR UV/VIS and light microscopy with deep application knowledge in the materials science, life sciences, electronics, and natural resources markets. Our laboratory elemental analyzers use x-ray fluoresce (XRD), x-ray diffraction (XRD), and arc spark optical emission (EOS) techniques for precise analysis of bulk materials in the metals, cement, minerals and petrochemicals industries. Our material characterization instruments include rheometers and extruders that measure viscosity, elasticity, process ability and temperature related material changes of various materials. We also provide a range of elemental analysis instruments used in product development. Our worldwide team of 4,600 employees is dedicated to customers’ pursuit accelerating innovation and driving productivity.
Check out these video’s to get more insight in what it means to work on our complex High-Tech Transmission Electron Microscopes. These high-end tools are being produced in our cleanrooms in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
Corporate organization: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABSxT6Y099I
Inside the TEM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEmsDh_l_A
How to make a microscope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W6J_f4yVVg
The installation of a TEM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rTgRq7iD0
Service Innovation is leading in the design of new digital services. With the growing business prospects for these services comes the need to expand its infrastructural foundations. As the data itself is key to the value that’s created, it becomes paramount to structure and manage that data, thus ensuring the continued scaling of development and operations of the digital services.
The Digital Services Data & Infra Architect is responsible for the data infrastructure to effectively and efficiently support the development and operation of digital services within the scope of the MSD division. The delivery of data and information to the various users consuming it in all its aspects is your key responsibility, this includes internal users and customers. Protecting our customer data is mandatory in this context.
In the Service Innovation group, you will be a leading member of the architecture board, responsible to drive key design decisions related to the data infrastructure. As part of this, you will work closely with the various developer teams (internal and external). Internal, you will be working closely together with R&D and IT departments, to ensure aligned roadmaps and integration of data sources.
The developments teams are moving to agile, one of your key assignments will be to foster and support a devops way of working with a special focus on the end-to-end data chain.
You are expected to lead into the exploration of concepts for designing digital services, which is a relatively unexplored field, and drive the adoption in the devops teams. In this context, it is important to note that this is not a “traditional data architect” position, but a unique opportunity to shape an architectural position in digital services. As such it has excellent room for growth and personal development.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Translate digital services business requirements into requirements and design of the end-to-end digital services data infrastructure
- Set up and rollout of Data Governance structure
- Create Data infrastructure roadmap for digital services
- Align the roadmap with the R&D product roadmap
- Align the roadmap with the IT roadmap
- Drive execution of roadmap within Service Innovation development team, including third party suppliers.
- Coordinate Service development activities with relevant development teams in R&D and IT
- Ensure a seamless integration with corporate information platforms (Service Management System, CRM, BI etc.)
- Ensure reliable and performant data transfer between devices and data consumers
- Build relations with existing and/or new suppliers, provide requirements and coordinate third party development activities.
The position is ideal for a candidate with a proven track record in R&D, Business or IT who wants to broaden his/her experience in the Service business arena as well who is looking for challenges in the direction of Big Data, IoT and Information Security. The successful candidate will bring the Service Data infrastructure to the next maturity level and prepare for the fast growing need for data in the Service Business.
Candidate will possess the following combination of education and experience:
- Typically Master degree in Information Technology or a combination of education and experience that demonstrate the required skills.
- 5 years+ experience working as an Architect (could be Data, Infrastructure, SW or Application)
- Deep knowledge of Database technologies and concepts, especially focused towards big data concepts and tools.
- Hands-on experience with MS SQL, Data Modelling, Reporting & Analysis tools;
- Working knowledge of cloud concepts, web based applications and microservices (C# knowledge is a pre).
- Working experience with data governance structures
- Knowledge of (preferred experience in) information security concepts
- Strong focus on quality, robustness and maintainability of tooling and processes.
- Work experience in agile development teams of 15+ engineers and preferably devops.
- Conceptual thinker with strong hands-on mentality
- Flexibility of mind to handle business dynamics and eagerness to learn new things.
- Ability to coach junior team members
- Preferred experience in High tech manufacturing and/or Service business
- Advanced knowledge of English – written and spoken form, demonstrated experience with work in international team.
- Flexibility in terms of working hours to meet the needs of international internal customers and team members.
- Good communication and influencing skills