When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
How will you make an impact?
We're seeking a highly skilled individual with experience analyzing data, building models, algorithms, and software for analysis of next-generation DNA sequencing. The successful candidate will be part of a multi-disciplinary team responsible for developing cutting edge Applications for Ion Torrent Sequencing instruments to advance genomic research in oncology and personalized medicine. The candidate will prototype, adopt, improve, develop, optimize and validate algorithms and analysis software to analyze DNA/RNA/cfDNA sequencing data for oncology, pharmacogenomics, metagenomics, Immuno Oncology and other applications; for example, to detect ultra-low frequency variants in liquid biopsy samples, to detect gene fusions, deleterious deletions and copy number variations in solid tumor samples, to detect microbial species and drug resistance mutations in blood etc. The candidate will be expected to work in a fast paced, complex setting to hard deliverables in a collaborative environment. Critical thinking, determination to succeed, the willingness and courage to push the boundaries on the possible and the drive to deliver are key attributes.
What will you do?
- Contribute to solutions driving easy, automated analysis of human genetic variation obtained by high-throughput sequencing; will develop algorithms and applications deployed in production software for inferring biological knowledge from millions of short reads, and will optimize and validate application software.
- Assist with inventing, speeding up, developing, evaluating, recommending, adapting, improving, optimizing, validating, integrating, documenting and supporting these analysis solutions.
- Development and validation of state of the art targeted sequencing assays for Oncology used in clinical and research settings worldwide.
- The candidate will work closely with molecular biologists, product managers, program managers and software engineers to build high quality products.
- Responsible for developing production-level software for these applications.
- Develop prototypes quickly, will integrate these methods into production software, and will collaborate with key internal and external groups.
- Keep up to date with the latest developments in algorithms for analysis of next-generation sequencing and applications of sequencing, especially for personalized medicine and human health.
- Other responsibilities include giving internal and external presentations, keeping abreast of the latest developments in genomics.
- PhD in computer science, computational biology, biostatistics, bioinformatics, or similar (MS considered for the candidate with the right experience).
- Experience building model in complex arenas, including recent relevant experience. Demonstration of rapid prototyping experience, leading to development of production code that is robust, fast, and highly accurate.
- 1-5 years of professional work experience
- Experience with Algorithms development / Scientific computing. Hands-on experience in developing bioinformatics analysis methods/algorithms for sequencing data is strongly preferred.
- Strong programming experience in Java/Python/C++ on a UNIX platform.
- Ability to engage in clear written and oral communication.
- A background in DNA sequencing technologies, bioinformatics, genetics, biology.
- Experience with Matlab or R is desired.
- Excellent problem solver, analytic thinker and quick learner
- Strong statistical background, previous industry experience, familiarity with common bioinformatics tools, experience with high performance computing, understanding of assay design, experience working in cancer biology or human genetics or metagenomics, experience with clinical testing, are all highly advantageous. Strong understanding of Bayesian statistics/Machine learning is desired.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 65,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com