About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 65,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands – Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services – we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
The Field and Safety Instrument (FSI) business manufactures and markets a leading portfolio of spectroscopy instruments across four primary market segments: Industrial, Safety & Security, Pharma, and Nuclear & Medical. The Marketing Director leads all strategy, product management, marketing communications, and business development activities for the business unit. The primary goal of this role will be to help grow the business by setting market and product direction. The ideal leader will be able to identify growth areas in our end markets and drive cross-functional collaboration to execute on growth opportunities.
The Marketing Director will ensure best-in-class messaging, advertising, and promotion of FSI products in the market. He/she will analyze business results and evaluate the effectiveness of marketing initiatives as well as provide overall management of the FSI marketing budget. The ability to work within a matrix environment to influence sales activities globally is critical. The Marketing Director also leads a direct team of Group Marketing Managers, each responsible for a marketing vertical with dedicated teams. He/she will serve as a mentor for this team of managers and set the direction required for FSI to achieve its growth objectives. The Marketing Director will be responsible for the FSI product roadmap, working with Sales and R&D leadership to execute on successful new product launches. In addition, he/she will be responsible for leading the annual strategic planning process for the business unit as well as overseeing business unit M&A activities.
- Define and develop the global marketing plan for FSI including value proposition, positioning, segmentation, sales enablement, marketing mix, and aligning marketing execution across all geographies and market segments.
- Drive development of new product and service revenue.
- Ensure price realization and profit targets are achieved through careful management of price approvals.
- Lead and coordinate annual strategic planning process for the business unit.
- Partner closely with Sales leadership to ensure alignment to sales pipeline objectives and build awareness, demand generation, and lead awareness.
- Communicate FSI market and product strategy to global sales force and partners.
- Collaborate with business unit leadership team to identify strategic partnership opportunities and execute strategic alliance plans that help improve FSI’s market position.
- Partner and collaborate with other Thermo Fisher business units to identify points of intersection for new business and market opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to excel in a global matrix organization.
- Demonstrated experience proactively meeting and serving a global sales organization.
- Superior leadership skills including team leadership, thought leadership, and collaboration.
- Able to effectively lead teams and prioritize the right work amidst a wide array activities.
- Resolves day-to-day issues related to strategy implementation.
- Coaches and mentors team members.
- Exceptional executive communication and presentation skills.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, business or a scientific/technical field is required, along with 10+ years of progressively more responsible experience in product management, marketing or business development. MBA preferred.
- A minimum of 7 years of people management experience.
- Knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform essential functions.
- Strong business acumen and a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain professional and personal relationships with key business partners and customers positively impacting business growth.
- Ability to coach, develop, and manage people.
- Proficiency with marketing and product management fundamentals is required.
- Financial understanding to evaluate business plans, contribution, and risk, also to include understanding of operational finance (e.g., cost accounting, revenue recognition.)
- Strong problem solving skills.
- High energy level with the ability to take initiative.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills plus demonstrate strong leadership capabilities.
- Ability to work effectively in different cultures and geographic areas.
- Ability to improve and implement processes and structure.
- Ability to successfully create clear, actionable objectives and facilitate career planning for team members.
- Willingness to travel up to 35%, both domestic and internationally, as required.