Thermo Fisher is seeking a dynamic and skilled Import/Export Specialist who is responsible for ensuring the compliant import and export activities of Thermo Fisher Scientific (Asheville) LLC. This includes, without limitation, adherence to applicable U.S. and non-U.S. laws and regulations pertaining to international trade as well as ensuring compliance with Thermo Fisher Scientific corporate policies. This position will be responsible for implementing, monitoring, and managing the Duty Drawback Program for Thermo Fisher Scientific (Asheville) LLC.
The candidate will interface with freight forwarders, US customs officers, custom brokers, and internal and external customers on all matters pertaining to the Drawback program respectively, as well as US Customs and import and export regulations.
- Ensure day-to-day monitoring of all exports and imports of the business unit.
- Ensure that the business has written, up-to-date work procedures to ensure compliance with US and local import and export regulations and the corporate Import and Export Management Systems.
- Ensure that the export classification of each item that may be exported is current and to maintain a database of classifications.
- Ensure current HTS classifications and country of origin information.
- Ensure that proposed transactions are screened for Denied Person and Entities, restricted end-uses, and diversion.
- Manage internal processes which permit compliant participation in Free Trade Agreements (FTA).
- Submit and/or audit AES submissions.
- Apply for licenses as necessary.
- Identify whether other Government agency requirements are applicable to product imports and exports (e.g. FCC, FDA, DDTC, AD/CVD requirements, etc.).
- Interact effectively with multiple functional areas including management, supply chain, distribution, engineering, finance, IT and legal.
- Is primary contact for and works with the corporate Global Trade Compliance team.
- Interface with carriers to assure compliance requirements and customers to ensure that their needs are met.
- Participate in, develop and conduct training activities for individuals and groups pertaining to import and export regulations.
- Evaluate all new Government agency requirements to ensure import and export compliance with changes and incorporation into day to day operations and standard operating procedures.
- Ascertain that up to date profiles and SOPs are provided to all endorsed service providers to ensure proper import and export clearance.
- Maintain required import and export documentation according to US and local law and corporate policy.
- Communicate with suppliers to ensure they understand and adhere to requirements for proper importation of goods.
- Communicate with affiliated business units overseas to streamline export and import processes.
- Ensure that a trained back-up is available to assist with compliance functions.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience in import and export.
- Experience in developing work procedures and written instructions.
- 2-4 years’ experience in import and/or export compliance.
- Desirable, but not mandatory are experience in logistics and/or a Customs Broker’s license.
- Ability to read and interpret government regulations.
- Ability to interact with other departments and communicate at a higher level
- Implement new programs with little direction.
- Position is a Remote position if necessary